What are Lavender Orpington chicks supposed to look like?

I hope. They are predicting above average temps until October here.
Oh man! I don't know what your Octobers are usually like (here we sometimes start getting snow), but even if above average, hopefully the temps won't be this brutal... at least. I feel so bad for the English basketballs. Mine are miserable in the heat, with all that fluff. The pretty looks have a steep price :( At least they get to cool off in the winter.

@ColtHandorf @Faraday40 @SourRoses
Alright guys, some new pictures. Do you think my pullet looks healthy? Forget the degree of Englishness or even the extent of the shredding. Does she look like a healthy animal to you? Because the breeder says she looks “unhealthy” (in all caps) and awful, and it’s hard not to get a little offended, because these chickens have a good life…

A8B8D9D4-EE05-4EC8-8C89-2E0C8B645E06.jpeg

B660A2DF-F6A6-4770-87A2-7C89AED51645.jpeg

Another thing I just remembered is that these chicks had strangely red ears when they were younger. I don't think the pullet did, but her brothers certainly did, and I thought it was odd. They got a lot of color in their wattles very young, so I thought the ears were related and it was just a boy thing. I sent pictures to the breeder just to see what she thought of it, and she gave me the same response - environmental. By the way she still thinks my pullet has inflamed ears, even in these new pictures from today and a couple of days ago... Do you? She says both the feathers and the ears are environmental. You'd think I'm raising my chickens in a toxic wasteland or something... I'm not opposed to the idea that there's something other than genetics at play here, I just find it hard to believe that it would be *only* the environment, especially since they share that environment with 7 other chickens, none of which are showing these issues (or ever have).

Here’s my girl, chilling with her mom 🥰
52A89430-7666-4D79-8E63-82279D8DD5A8.jpeg

Picture update! My girl is filling out. Still has a lot of noticeable shredding, but I think she looks healthy otherwise. Her breeder said she was done with the conversation, so I don’t think I’ll be contacting her again, or buying from her. That whole thing was just rude. I’m done with the lavender color, too. This pullet is really skittish so I don’t know if I’ll keep her. I got her to eat out of my hand, but she won’t let me touch her. For a flock of pet chickens, that doesn’t fit the job description very well, so we’ll see…

6109ADDC-486E-427F-AB08-7EED16A77CDE.jpeg

EB9F132D-9FDD-47C4-A682-9998A49D81FB.jpeg

71EC338D-36B5-41EE-8275-5F9E09A3A283.jpeg
C95435CA-9277-4F0B-8409-3797807C20C1.jpeg
B3149AF2-D277-4DE0-8FA8-0E6A97AC45EA.jpeg

22AFF7EA-48EE-4C79-811C-627639227FE8.jpeg

@ColtHandorf @Faraday40 @SourRoses
Alright guys, some new pictures. Do you think my pullet looks healthy? Forget the degree of Englishness or even the extent of the shredding. Does she look like a healthy animal to you? Because the breeder says she looks “unhealthy” (in all caps) and awful, and it’s hard not to get a little offended, because these chickens have a good life…

View attachment 3213034
View attachment 3213035

Another thing I just remembered is that these chicks had strangely red ears when they were younger. I don't think the pullet did, but her brothers certainly did, and I thought it was odd. They got a lot of color in their wattles very young, so I thought the ears were related and it was just a boy thing. I sent pictures to the breeder just to see what she thought of it, and she gave me the same response - environmental. By the way she still thinks my pullet has inflamed ears, even in these new pictures from today and a couple of days ago... Do you? She says both the feathers and the ears are environmental. You'd think I'm raising my chickens in a toxic wasteland or something... I'm not opposed to the idea that there's something other than genetics at play here, I just find it hard to believe that it would be *only* the environment, especially since they share that environment with 7 other chickens, none of which are showing these issues (or ever have).

Here’s my girl, chilling with her mom 🥰
View attachment 3213048
You should tell her to go pound sand, geez...

Back
Top Bottom