What are some good reputable hatcheries?

pathakipathak11

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 29, 2014
Hello all,

I was wondering if any of you could recommend some good reputable hatcheries. It is my first time getting chickens. I not very sure which are good and which are bad. A lot of people say that Meyer hatchery is a good one. Is this true? Any information will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Pathakipathak11

Last edited:
Murray McMurray is fantastic! The people you speak to are knowledgeable and willing to talk you through decisions, ideas and helpful hints. Their stock is excellent; healthy, happy chicks and/or pullets. They communicate beautifully so you know what's shipping, when, how and even how to work with your local post office to facilitate picking up the birds. The do not debeak their birds (some hatcheries do) which impacts on eating and grooming. I won't ever use anyone else.

I've ordered from Murray McMurray, Ideal Poultry, Welp, and Country Hatchery. And IMHO....

McMurray is an excellent hatchery with good quality stock (for a hatchery, their Australorps in particular are awesome birds, IMO!), good customer service, always send extra chicks, and excellent sexing accuracy (only one was mis-sexed out of well over 100 chicks I've ordered from them).

Ideal Poultry has excellent prices, a huge selection of breeds, with very good customer service and in both of my orders totaling about 35 chicks, 100% sexing accuracy. Quality of the birds? Eh. I loved the Barred Rocks, but was very disappointed with the Buff Orps and Australorps, I liked McMurray's a lot more.

My experience with Welp Hatchery was ordering 50 male Cornish meat birds a few years ago. No complaints, great prices. Placed the order online, so didn't speak with anyone over the phone. They sent 53, and 2 ended up being pullets. They grew well and were yummy!

My last two orders have been from Country Hatchery in Oklahoma. Great customer service, great prices, and so far I'm very happy with the quality of the birds. My first order was in September, second order arrived this last Friday. First order of 15 pullets, 4 turned out to be roosters (edited to add: actually only 2 were roosters, the rest were pullets), which was definitely disappointing, but Dennis kindly credited me for them. I was very impressed though with the quality of the birds, and so went ahead and ordered another 19 chicks, and they sent 20. Looking forward to seeing how they all grow, and fingers crossed for a better sexing accuracy this go round. I like supporting a small family-owned hatchery, so if the sexing accuracy is at or near 100% this time this will likely become my new go-to hatchery, instead of McMurray.

I haven't ordered from Cackle personally, but I have had birds from them and haven't been impressed. Buff Orps that won't go broody, Wyandottes with single combs, etc. And their sexing accuracy isn't as high as McMurray's.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom