what are the best brody hens

I have two Black Australorps from MacMurray Hatchery and they both go broody at the drop of a hat and are terrific mothers. I have kept them because they're such good setters and moms.

[True Araucanas, Ameraucanas, Marans, American Gamefowl, Oriental Gamefowl, Wyandottes, Cochins, Silkies, etc are all broody, granted that they are not of hatchery/poor quality. Hatcheries breed out broodiness to keep the egg production going.]

Hmmmm....seems someone forgot to tell my gold laced wyandotte that the broodiness has been bred out of her. as she is broody for the 2nd time in as many months!!!
barnie.gif
I got her from MPC last summer....

I don't know what the best broody hens are but MY best broody hens are my (5) banty girls. They have hatched about 85% of my flock. I place 8-9 standard eggs under my 5 girls and they hatch them all. They go broody about 3-4 times a year. Excellent mothers!

if u want good broodies get some silkies, buff orpingtons, or better yet cross a silkie cockrel with a buff orp hen. they make great brooders! ive heard good things about brahmas too.
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
big_smile.png
smile.png
cool.png

Some good broodies can be found in alot of breeds...Best breed is the game hens , just about every hen are great broodies.

Can't find better mothers , i had one attack a fox after her chicks, she gave her life to save those chicks.....little harder tocheck on eggs or change eggs out, yes they will fight you also.....

Quote:
Yeah, some people do get broody hens. I know Orpingtons from hatcheries have decent chances, and I've even got the rarity of a broody Polish before.

. . . . REALLY hope that Polish decides to go broody again this spring. That would be very much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom