What Are The Most Productive Farm Animals???

auntdover23

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2015
So I would like to start up again with my farm, because everyone knows once you have gotten yourself into it there's no tuning back. However I would like an easy-keep, productive animal. I was thinking goats, but I would like to hear what you all have to say and hear from your experiences what animals you guys think would be most productive. Here is a list of things I would like for the animal(s) to do:

• Be able to pull a small child's wagon (with fire would or manure in it)

• Keep down the grass

• Doesn't eat much

• Provides milk

• And can produce offspring 1-2 a year

*Keep in mind that they don't ''have'' to have these attributes, this is only what I would like for them to do.

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited:
You can train wether dairy goats to pull wagons, and of course a doe will give you milk and kids. Goats can be a joy or a pain, depends on your patience level and ability to outsmart them. The will graze, but not short, they leave about 6-8 inches from the ground and won't graze where they mess.

Smaller breeds of cows like jersey could work, but they eat a bit more and need more care.

Miniature donkeys, but I don't think you want to milk them.

Sheep, they can be a bit headstrong, but you can milk them, not sure about training them to pull a wagon, the couple of bottle babies I had were not too bright and they tend to run and panic a lot, they do crop the grass short.

I'm not usually one for miniature animals, but the mini cows (Dexter, etc) have sure caught my attention. They're on my short list for when we move and have more space. They'll eat more than a goat, but produce more also. I think they're easier to fence, and overall quieter than goats.

So I would like to start up again with my farm, because everyone knows once you have gotten yourself into it there's no tuning back. However I would like an easy-keep, productive animal. I was thinking goats, but I would like to hear what you all have to say and hear from your experiences what animals you guys think would be most productive. Here is a list of things I would like for the animal(s) to do:

• Be able to pull a small child's wagon (with fire would or manure in it). You MUST research a safe hauling setup for the animal. And a safe amount of weight they can actually pull so you do not injure your animal. The harness must equally distribute the weight over the animal's body. Also, you need to train the animal, too.

• Keep down the grass Goats will not keep the grass down. I still have to mow where I keep my goats. They eat brush and browse first, grass absolutely last, and even then, it is spotty. So if you get goats, they will do nothing for grass levels.

• Doesn't eat much Dairy animals need supplementation if they are to produce milk. Pregnancy and lactation is very energy intense. If you don't give them grain and alfalfa, don't expect milk production. So you need to define what 'much' is.

• Provides milk Goats, sheep, and cattle will all lactate...if given enough calories to produce it.

• And can produce offspring 1-2 a year This most most animals. Sheep and goats have shorter gestation than cattle.

*Keep in mind that they don't ''have'' to have these attributes, this is only what I would like for them to do.

Thanks in advance!!!

Back
Top Bottom