What are you canning now?

Picked enough peas today to fill 2 18oz peanutbutter jars and a mayo container as well. They are currently sitting in the freezer until I get enough peas to can them all.Has anybody froze fresh peas then canned them later? I havne't looked in the books yet to see how to can peas, but I am assuming it is salt and water in a pressure canner, correct? I am going to do them up in the jelly jars since I am the only one who really likes them.

Yes. protein has to be pressure canned.
The upside of fresh is they will not need to be soaked or precooked.
I have canned dried beans for a few years now. They are so much cheaper than buying canned beans, and it is nice to have them ready and waiting when you want them.

Picked enough peas today to fill 2 18oz peanutbutter jars and a mayo container as well. They are currently sitting in the freezer until I get enough peas to can them all.Has anybody froze fresh peas then canned them later? I havne't looked in the books yet to see how to can peas, but I am assuming it is salt and water in a pressure canner, correct? I am going to do them up in the jelly jars since I am the only one who really likes them.

Here are the instuctuons from the Ball book. Hope it helps!

Last edited:
I have 2 different Ball books. 1 is thin and 1 is thick but the thin 1 has recipes in it the thick 1 does not. The sweet pickle relish is the best ever and that is where most of my cukes go. It has a bread and butter pickle taste to it and turns my chicken salad into a masterpiece! I get so many compliments on the relish.

I have 2 different Ball books.  1 is thin and 1 is thick but the thin 1 has recipes in it the thick 1 does not.  The sweet pickle relish is the best ever and that is where most of my cukes go.  It has a bread and butter pickle taste to it and turns my chicken salad into a masterpiece!  I get so many compliments on the relish.

I would love to see the recipe. Have been after a good sweet mustard pickle or relish for ages.

Back
Top Bottom