What are you canning now?

I don’t believe you. I’d better try a jar to be sure they are what you say they are. 5D99487F-7C7C-4FF2-99EB-C14A56EB165D.jpeg

Finished up the box of peaches tonight. Last jars of slices are in the canner and the last batch of Peach Comfort is in the fridge to can tomorrow.
I use the odd shaped and little pieces that don't go in with the slices to make the peach comfort sauce, so I always have a batch to can at the end. Somehow when I blitzed this batch of sauce with the immersion blender I missed 3 peach slices. I will fish them out tomorrow and have them for a snack while the sauce cooks and cans.

I need to start on tomatoes next. I need to can as many jars of diced tomatoes as I can. We have been out of tomatoes for months.

Well, since I was the thread killer, I will continue on from my last post.
Didn't get many tomatoes canned. Hope I do better next year. Hubby has been so patient with me - didn't realize how depressed I really was last summer. He says the change in me since getting this job has been incredible. Looking forward to a better year.

Question for you canners out there: Anyone have any experience with canning soup that has cabbage in it? All the "official" canning references say don't can anything with ingredients that don't have specific canning directions for them. And searching for instructions on canning cabbage comes up empty. The closest I got was the fact that the Amish can cabbage soup, but don't can cabbage because it has not been tested.

So, any thoughts on canning cabbage. Yes, I realize the cabbage will probably end up as mush after a 90 minute pressure canning session, for Boiled dinner, that would be perfectly acceptable to me.

@BlueBaby I may try that recipe for canning cabbage- for myself only, not to share with anyone else. If I poison myself, then oops. I love cabbage, DH hates the smell of it cooking so I can only have it when he is not home. This will give me an option to eat cabbage whenever I want.

I am willing to try it because there has been no research/testing done on canning cabbage. It hasn't been shown to be bad practice or likely to go bad, it just hasn't been tested/studied at all. No data to back a decision either way. Just about every site that says "don't can cabbage" also says "because it has not been tested". It's not like it is a thick sauce and won't heat all the way through. Slice it up and it will be fully immersed in the liquid so it will heat evenly.

Back
Top Bottom