What are you canning now?

haha--Thanks guys-Oh I'm definitely going for it-but maybe just canned tomatoes and not sauce this first go round haha. I have tons of blueberry -razzberry-and blackberry plants all over my property that I will pillage! those will be my first experiences with jams
smile.png
Oh and I'll try canning chicken too-I have alot of roos that I can "use" in the next coming weeks:)

Quote:
None of the youtubes mentioned anything about mixes
hu.gif
I just used onions and peppers from our garden...kind of sauteed a bunch (I'm not much of a measurer
hmm.png
) in a humonguous skillet, and then added my chopped up tomatoes... I don't know how many pounds of tomatoes either - there were big ones, little ones, med. sized ones, enough for a sink load (I know a 'sink load' is not a proper measurement...lol).
What I DO know is that if I had just been canning tomatoes, I would have filled up a lot more jars, because on the videos, the big tomato chunks take up more space, and there seems to be quite a bit of liquid.
But once that "sauce" got to simmering, everything just kind of condensed (even though I'd been aiming for a really chunky sauce)...and although I'd squeezed those tomatoes for all their worth, there was still a lot of liquid (too much I think) in my sauce.

Any tricks for getting a lot more of the liquid/juice out of the tomatoes, besides squeezing harder??

Happy canning sonew!!

Quote:
None of the youtubes mentioned anything about mixes
hu.gif
I just used onions and peppers from our garden...kind of sauteed a bunch (I'm not much of a measurer
hmm.png
) in a humonguous skillet, and then added my chopped up tomatoes... I don't know how many pounds of tomatoes either - there were big ones, little ones, med. sized ones, enough for a sink load (I know a 'sink load' is not a proper measurement...lol).
What I DO know is that if I had just been canning tomatoes, I would have filled up a lot more jars, because on the videos, the big tomato chunks take up more space, and there seems to be quite a bit of liquid.
But once that "sauce" got to simmering, everything just kind of condensed (even though I'd been aiming for a really chunky sauce)...and although I'd squeezed those tomatoes for all their worth, there was still a lot of liquid (too much I think) in my sauce.

Any tricks for getting a lot more of the liquid/juice out of the tomatoes, besides squeezing harder??

Happy canning sonew!!

The best place for tutorials for canning/preserving just about anything (IMO) is here: http://www.pickyourown.org/spaghettisauce.htm

Lots
of tips and confidence builders to be found on this site.

Thanks Patches! I've just started browsing the site and have discovered that 1) It looks like I'll be freezing our greenbeans instead of canning, since we don't have a pressure canner, 2) Roma tomatoes are the ones I want to plant next year - lots of meat/very little juice, and 3) I'll need a bushel basket of tomatoes to get 10-12 quarts of crushed tomatoes
smile.png
Lots of guidance!

PS: Plus they even mention the mixes BFMom brought up...

11 pints cherries.... will have pics on blog by monday.
Have my first handful of cukes salting right now for dill chips tomorrow. Only enough for 1/4 recipe but I'm getting them done anyway.

I know it's not kosher and wouldn't win a prize at at county fair, but I skip the blanching and peeling step. I save my large tomatoes for canning separately (and I do blanch and peel those). But, last year I had tons and tons of cherry tomatoes and small cluster tomatoes. If you peel those there's nothing left. I cut them in half or quarters, simmer them with onions, peppers, herbs, and whatever I'm adding for pizazz. When all is soft and mellow, I run the sauce through a blender. All the peels get chopped up really fine. Then, I simmer on the stove until it's the consistency that I like. I use this sauce as a base for a spaghetti sauce in winter, adding pesto (made and frozen during the summer in ice cube trays). Sometimes I will brown sausage (that I've made from the half pig I have in the freezer) in the crockpot before I go to work, add the tomato sauce and pesto and anything else if I want it chunky - more onions, celery, etc. When I get home it's already to eat.

Quote:
I tried making spaghetti sauce from scratch last year. It was too much work for the quanity received.
I wasn't even canning it . . .. just wanted some for then and some to freeze.

This year I went after salsa.... it was not as bad as the sauce. You don't have to let it cook forever.
I would can plain tomatoes or salsa, not spaghetti sauce.

It is a lot of work to peel tomatoes and then chop them. After you have done it a few times you will develope a system.
It helps a lot if you have a child to help..... My daughter and I developed our system.....

She rinses the tomatoes, I mark them with an X and drop them in the simmering water for 4 minute.
I take them out of the water and put them in a cold water bath.
My daughter takes them out of the cold water bath and peels them.
I take them from her and chop them.

We set up 4 bowls and three work stations.
One bowl for of ice water. One bowl for peeled tomatoes. One bowl for chopped tomatoes. One GIANT bowl for scraps, peelings, and extra juice.

I have found a way to chop them without getting juice all over the counter.
Put the cutting board inside of a cookie sheet with a lip. The extra juice will run into the cookie sheet ( instead of the counter) and it is easier to pour the juice into a bowl from the cookie sheet.

Back
Top Bottom