What are you canning now?

Rancher,
Thank you for this information. It is something that I had not considered and will keep this information filed away. I wonder if it is the plastic that they use for the sealing ring area, or was it the plastic coating on the entire lid?

I guess I'm not too worried about the BPA on the canning jar lids. From what I understand, the BPA is really only a leaching problem when the plastic gets hot - like pallets of bottled water sitting on the taramac at the army bases in Afganastan, or a bottle of water bouncing around in the back window of your car on a sunny day.
When it comes to canning:
#1 - it is only heated once - not sitting in a steam room leaching BPA continually.
#2 - the food is not normally in contact with the lid once the sealing process is complete.
#3 - it is a fairly small area that contains the plastic.

I can't afford to worry about it either, but hope the manufactures will find a solution at some time. If enough people show concern they are more likely to look for a solution.

You are going to can lots of venison!

I was looking at that monster for myself - figured why not do a double decker at a time instead of twice as many single sessions. It seems to take so long to get it up to pressure, then to process for 90 minutes, then to cool down. Twice as much would be nice! Then I realized that the sucker wouldn't fit on my stove because we have a stupid microwave in the way.
That is what my sister was thinking , plus she got a great deal on it.
Easy...move the miicrowave
wink.png

Whoa, you are so lucky. I have plans to buy one but not til spring I think. I'd like to do some Veg. Stock and Chicken stock. That's all I have planned for now. I am planning the garden of course. Even though it's under the snow.
Thanks. No garden planning here even though I got my gardening magazines this week. Not going to have one.
You can use two burners to heat that thing!
lau.gif

I forgot to say: Lucky Duck!
yuckyuck.gif

Thanks....but I am almost afraid of it
hide.gif

I have almost the same stove and the very same All American! YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!!!! It will take a couple of times to get the confidense but you will do fine! It holds the heat so well and when you turn off the gas it will cool right down. Mine didn't open well the first couple of times but don't be afraid of using the screw driver method on it after a couple of hours. Now mine opens with a twist of my wrist. (that is in the instruction book) LOVE mine! And i have never canned before this year. I have done apple sause (I also use it for water bath) apple jelly, hamburger, stew beef, chicken soup, all the broths, chicken, beef, vegie. Jelly of all sorts. I had to put my canner up for Christmas. I cooked a ham for christmas just so I can do ham and bean soup to can!

I am not canning anything. Still waiting for the shock to wear off then I will be looking for recipes to can venison. My sister and kids went in together and bought this big monster for me for Christmas. A couple of years ago I was wishing for the mid sized one. This is the 941 model
th.gif

What am I gonna do????

I always forget the quote but I found if I heat it up while I'm cooking or prepairing what I'm going to can it will be right at the right temp quickly. I tried to pressure can apple sause but I like it better in the water bath.

I have almost the same stove and the very same All American! YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!!!! It will take a couple of times to get the confidense but you will do fine! It holds the heat so well and when you turn off the gas it will cool right down. Mine didn't open well the first couple of times but don't be afraid of using the screw driver method on it after a couple of hours. Now mine opens with a twist of my wrist. (that is in the instruction book) LOVE mine! And i have never canned before this year. I have done apple sause (I also use it for water bath) apple jelly, hamburger, stew beef, chicken soup, all the broths, chicken, beef, vegie. Jelly of all sorts. I had to put my canner up for Christmas. I cooked a ham for christmas just so I can do ham and bean soup to can!

I always forget the quote but I found if I heat it up while I'm cooking or prepairing what I'm going to can it will be right at the right temp quickly. I tried to pressure can apple sause but I like it better in the water bath.
Thanks so much! That really helps because I was honestly scared it might be too big for my stove. DH just got another deer so now I will have even more venison to try canning. I may even try venison stew. The ham and bean soup sounds yummy!

My stove has a warming oven on the bottom, that I have never used, instead of a drawer. Plop that canner on the big burner and all you need is three inches of water.

I'm not canning anything of late. Too busy with GK's and snow.

I'm going through my magazines so I can catch up and toss/share them and restock.
lol.png
Reading things I've put off.

Anyhow I wanted to share what I just read about BPA and canning jars. I did not know there was BPA in the lids of the Ball and Kerr type lids. While the Weck (never use) rubber lids do not.

Though while the Weck types are safe from BPA, they are also not deemed safe by the Nat. Center for Home Food Preservation. Whatever that is. Never heard of them till now either.

So here's hoping that Ball and Kerr get with the program and develop a lid with out the BPA.

Moving to the canning thread.

Take care and carry on,

Rancher
My biggest score for Christmas was a lifetime supply of Tattler reusable lids BPA free.

My stove has a warming oven on the bottom, that I have never used, instead of a drawer. Plop that canner on the big burner and all you need is three inches of water.
Mine has a warming drawer also, I use it on Sunday to keep the bacon warm while I make the pancakes :)
But the best use is as a proofing drawer. Heat it up, then turn it off and put in the bread dough. You can't leave it on because it will start to cook the dough.

Back
Top Bottom