What are you canning now?

Hi folks, Busy days here.

I just wanted to weigh in. I just placed my Burpee order for tomatoes. They had a Rainbow heirloom packet so I ordered that, It has all kinds of tomatoes.

I also ordered the Italian ice , I like. and Polish Lingouisa, Stupice and Thessaloniki. Has anyone else tried these?

I figure I can buy Amish Paste plants and I hope to find some Rutgers for canning as well.

Does anyone have a favorite the start from seeds for canning? I would imagine in the warmer climes that you get lots and lots of tomatoes to can.

Hi folks, Busy days here.

I just wanted to weigh in. I just placed my Burpee order for tomatoes. They had a Rainbow heirloom packet so I ordered that, It has all kinds of tomatoes.

I also ordered the Italian ice , I like. and Polish Lingouisa, Stupice and Thessaloniki. Has anyone else tried these?

I figure I can buy Amish Paste plants and I hope to find some Rutgers for canning as well.

Does anyone have a favorite the start from seeds for canning? I would imagine in the warmer climes that you get lots and lots of tomatoes to can.

I'm growing Stupice this year for the first time so I don't know how they'll do but I'm hoping for the best. We'll have to compare notes. I never quite trust the seed catalogs descriptions. Our favorite tomato ever ever ever for everything is San Marzano. They have very little seed cavity, are easy to peel, hold up to canning and freezing well, and make the best tasting tomato stuff ever. They are a Roma type. We also grew one one year called a Tiffen(sp?) Mennonite. It's a huge heirloom that tastes great but it doesn't produce much so we haven't grown it again.

I bought San Marzano last year and not one seed germinated. My last years , where Red Husky, Amish paste. I did have some I started but by the time I got them in the ground I couldn't remember who was who..

the Black Cherry and Cherokee did well and tasted great.

I am tired of the same old , same old varieties, so I try some older heirlooms instead.

I think the commercial industry has gotten away from varieties for canning, but then again may be coming back.

The more vocal we are the more they will see the market for canning vegetable varieties. It's flavor I'm after.

Last edited:
San Marzanos need a little more heat than other varieties to germinate if I remember rightly. I don't have any seed for them this year but I always just start them in seed flats.

We grew black cherry last year too and have a plant still growing from it. We pinched off the top and kept it rooted over the winter. My husbands grandmother always kept plants from year to year that way so I decided to try it this year to see if I could. Only one of my plants made it after I potted into dirt, of course the cats got one of the three so ...

Some seed companies seem to only care about growing strange and odd varieties and not really productive good tasting ones that work for canning.

Canned 10 qts. of collards yesterday. Still have more out in the garden.
I think my friends are going to get lucky.
droolin.gif
Can I be your friend???
smile.png
I love collards but I am the only one in my family that eats them. I can't even think about planting anything yet. Snow still on the ground here and freezing rain coming down today.

I got a good deal on strawberries at the grocery store so I will be jamming this weekend.

We just moved to our new mini homestead. I can't get to all of my canning stuff yet but I did make some freezer jam 2 days ago.
4 pints of blackberry and 6 pints of strawberry. I also make fridge pickles with some of those long english cucumbers. Got a good deal on them.
Also skimmed the cream off the milk and made butter, that's in the freezer. Now what do I do with all this buttermilk? I have a ton.

Back
Top Bottom