What are you canning now?

@ Happy Chooks. On the kraut. I use 5# shredded cabbage. 3 tablespoons of canning salt. Massage until the juices run & put in the gallon jar. press it in until the juices cover the shredded cabbage. I then insert a one gallon plastic bag (not a zip bag) & add tap water into the bag leaving a couple of inches of air space on the top of the jar. Force out all the excess air from the bag, and close the bag with a twist tie. The bag works as a air lock. It allows any gasses to escape as well as not letting any air or contaminants to get back at the cabbage. I also keep a loose fitting lid, so the jar can breath, on the jar to ward off any insect This is the third batch I've done this way without any sign of spoilage. If you try it again, I hope it works. Jim

I was in the junk store the other day and they had an old canning book with recipes for things I'd never eat. It was a pressure canning book and I doubt it's sold anyone interested?

Different things like Mutton and other animal parts.

I was in the junk store the other day and they had an old canning book with recipes for things I'd never eat.  It was a pressure canning book and I doubt it's sold anyone interested?  

Different things like Mutton and other animal parts.  

Those are cool. I bought one last year at the junk store in town that was a Ball Blue Book of canning from 1920's. Interesting things in it.

Ok, so I saw an infomercial yesterday (I was flipping through and it sucked me in!) for the Power Pressure Cooker XL. Anybody ever use this for canning?

cooker-features.jpg

http://www.powerpressurecooker.com/features.php

Ok, so I saw an infomercial yesterday (I was flipping through and it sucked me in!) for the Power Pressure Cooker XL. Anybody ever use this for canning?

cooker-features.jpg

http://www.powerpressurecooker.com/features.php

I had planned on getting one for those nights when I get home and realize I forgot to set up the crock pot.
I think they are great for quick meals, but not canning.

Although, for one or two pints of leftovers, when you do not want to set up the big canner, it would be perfect. I will wait to see what the published usda results are.

I was going to get one for Christmas and got an influx of my mother in laws kitchen things right before he was going to order it, and I said never mind on the cooker, we need a bigger house, I can't find room for anything else.
I am the storer of all poorly thought out purchases.
sad.png

@3goodeggs
I can relate with that. Except with my mother-in- law it is china and old pink depression era wine glasses, etc. She says , " Do you want these or would you like to inherit these some day." I try to be nice, but we live in a small farm house now with NO extra storage space. I have to say, "No, I don't have anywhere to put it, and I can't take it if I can't USE it." Practical things I'll find room for.

Those have not been approved for canning by the USDA. A couple of universities are testing them, but no published results so far.

I don't see how it is different from a standard stove-top pressure cooker except it is electric. Maybe it does not have the steam release on the top like a standard pressure cooker? Bear with me, I do not even own a standard pressure cooker, but I am trying to recall the tidbits I have learned about them. I just thought it should work similarly to a standard pressure cooker in canning.

Back
Top Bottom