What are you canning now?

After the cukes and the Roma beans, did potatoes (mice ate most of the crop underground for the first time ever) and spaghetti sauce, but will do stewed tomatoes, more pasta sauce and salsa. Plus we have Contender bush beans coming up nicely so those will come later on.

@speckledhen your pantry is filling up nicely. I didn't know mice would get to the potatoes underground, what a shame!

@speckledhen your pantry is filling up nicely. I didn't know mice would get to the potatoes underground, what a shame!
Neither did I, but there they were, all the little teethmarks and half eaten potatoes.
hmm.png

I have always wanted to try canning potatoes. Did you raw pack them? After you open the jars that are prepared are the canned potatoes firm enough to be able to make potato salad? I worry about mushy potatoes.

I have always wanted to try canning potatoes. Did you raw pack them? After you open the jars that are prepared are the canned potatoes firm enough to be able to make potato salad? I worry about mushy potatoes.

No, they are not raw packed. We did it according to a canning book we have. I have never done it so have not opened one yet to be able to tell you how firm they stay, sorry.

Last edited:
I haven't canned potatoes, yet. I am hoping for a bumper crop this year to try it. So what I say is just an observation and my opinion.
My sister canned potatoes for a while, she used them for mashed potatoes when she opened them up. It seems like they turn out like the potatoes in stew - just firm enough to hold their shape.
So in my opinion - too soft for potato salad.

I have only frozen onions, but I know people can pickled onions. Canning without the pickling would make the onions doable for soups, I'd think.

Back
Top Bottom