What are you canning now?

@rancher hicks Did you try re-making the gooseberry jam yet? There are directions in the boxes of pectin as to how to do it. You can probably look online too. I have had to re-do jams before because of sealing issues or lack of set up on the first batch. The jam/jelly turned out just fine and the set was usually better the second time.

@Peep_Show Those peaches look SO good! That picture is making my mouth water. We planted a little peach tree two years ago. With all the rain this year, it has nearly doubled in size, but no peaches yet. Some day...
We had a peach tree when I was a little girl. I can remember helping my Mom slip the skins off to can them. Mmmm.... delicious!

@speckledhen
I have started on my pickles now. I have done three batches of bread and butter and two batches of dill so far. I have also canned one batch of green beans. My tomatoes are full of green tomatoes;now I just need them to turn red,purple, or yellow, depending on the variety. I'm looking forward to making spaghetti sauce and salsa. A few years ago I even made ketchup and tomato butter. It turned out really well. I had tomatoes coming out my ears though. The food you've put up so far looks great!

@speckledhen
I have started on my pickles now. I have done three batches of bread and butter and two batches of dill so far. I have also canned one batch of green beans. My tomatoes are full of green tomatoes;now I just need them to turn red,purple, or yellow, depending on the variety. I'm looking forward to making spaghetti sauce and salsa. A few years ago I even made ketchup and tomato butter. It turned out really well. I had tomatoes coming out my ears though. The food you've put up so far looks great!

Sounds great! We just did 13 pints of salsa yesterday. Hope it's enough! On to other tomato goodies, I guess. Never had tomato butter, sounds good-what do you put it on?

@rancher hicks Did you try re-making the gooseberry jam yet? There are directions in the boxes of pectin as to how to do it. You can probably look online too. I have had to re-do jams before because of sealing issues or lack of set up on the first batch. The jam/jelly turned out just fine and the set was usually better the second time.
Thanks I haven't done it yet but will. Gooseberries are to costly to waste on tart jam.

I've got the ingredients on the counter for cranberry jelly. I measured out and froze the juice but the freezer is so full I have to get these things done up. The goose will have to wait.
hmm.png

Last edited:
@speckledhen Tomato butter is good on biscuits. It is good on rolls and toast too, but I love homemade biscuits. I never could get my husband past the idea of using tomatoes to make a sweet butter, but my Dad and I liked it. Of course, my Mom had made it once when I was a child, and I remembered it, so was determined to make it myself.

I am fairly new to canning ...... do you all remove the bands from the jars after processing? Just wondering if there is a reason why some folks remove the bands and some do not when storing their jars after processing.

I am fairly new to canning ...... do you all remove the bands from the jars after processing? Just wondering if there is a reason why some folks remove the bands and some do not when storing their jars after processing.

We just remove them to test the seal of the lid, then replace them, but my dad did it both ways.

Back
Top Bottom