Raspberry jam
I've frozen
Green peppers
Japs
Sweet peppers
More tomato juice
I have peaches to do this week.
Pic is just one night of work

Pressure canning opens a whole new world of canning. Seriously, being able to put up condensed chicken soup with meat is a JOY come the wintertime and busy work days. Beef spaghetti sauce, beans, etc. WHOLE new world.

Since I'm a newbie to canning, I've only used the HWB & pickled some things. I have a large Sears pressure canner that was my husband's grandma's. No manuel came with it. Should I try to find a manuel on line, replace rings, & calibrate, or should I just purchase a newer model with manuel that is good to go? If so, what are some models you veteran canners prefer? Many thanks.

Yes you can most likely find a manual on line. As for parts you probably can find those too. Consider what THAT canner would cost new and go from there.

I would NOT buy a new one if that one is fine. Always consider the replacement cost before buying new.

Yes you can most likely find a manual on line.  As for parts you probably can find those too.  Consider what THAT canner would cost new and go from there. 

I would NOT buy a new one if that one is fine. Always consider the replacement cost before buying new. 
Yes, I was looking at the new ones. The good ones are $200 +. Safety is a big issue, but I hate to get rid of something useful just because it's going to be difficult to get it up to speed. Plus it's a family heirloom (or family hairball as my husband calls them). I'm back & forth on it. Calibrating it is going to be the difficult part.

With the Presto 23 quart model that I have, I don't worry so much about the calibration. The weight I use has rings that can be added or removed to set your pressure; 5, 10, or 15 lbs of pressure. As long as it is jiggling, I know what the pressure is.

@rides2far, that thing sure looks an awful lot like a Presto 23 quart model. I'm wondering if the Presto seals wouldn't fit?

Yes, I was looking at the new ones. The good ones are $200 +. Safety is a big issue, but I hate to get rid of something useful just because it's going to be difficult to get it up to speed. Plus it's a family heirloom (or family hairball as my husband calls them). I'm back & forth on it. Calibrating it is going to be the difficult part.

With the Presto 23 quart model that I have, I don't worry so much about the calibration. The weight I use has rings that can be added or removed to set your pressure; 5, 10, or 15 lbs of pressure. As long as it is jiggling, I know what the pressure is.

@rides2far , that thing sure looks an awful lot like a Presto 23 quart model. I'm wondering if the Presto seals wouldn't fit?

I'm not sure I understand the calibration part. Seems to me your gauge would tell everything. I'll have to research that calibration thing. When I got my first pressure canner I just used it right off. Since I went by the gauge. I expected it was correct.

Now if you decide you don't want the heirloom, I'd be happy to take it off your hands. If you can get the parts you need I'd say it's just fine.

Back in the day things were made to last. That's why you see so many Cast Iron fry pans and pots. The old stuff is much heavier than the new I think.

The standard weight that comes with the Presto canner is set to release pressure at 15 psi. The adjustable weight is designed to jiggle and release pressure once they reach the pressure they are set to (5, 10, or 15 psi). ie if you leave both rings on the weight then it will pressurize to 15 psi and then maintain that pressure by controlled release of the excess pressure. Take one ring off and it pressurizes to 10 psi which just happens to be what is called for to pressure can at my altitude. I watch the gauge as a double check. The biggest advantage of the weight is that it frees me from having to constantly fiddle with the heat in order to maintain the proper pressure in the canner. As long as it is jiggling, you know your pressure is good.

Standard weights vs adjustable weights

Standard weights... Turn up heat till you get a steady flow of steam coming out the vent. Hold this for 10 minutes. Then put weight on. Bring pressure on gauge up to what your recipe calls for. Adjust heat to maintain this pressure for amount of time called for in recipe.

Adjustable weights... Turn up heat till you get a steady flow of steam coming out the vent. Hold this for 10 minutes. Then put weight on. Once the weight starts jiggling it has reached the pressure your recipe calls for. As long as it is constantly jiggling, the pressure is maintained. Wait the amount of time called for in recipe.

The pressure gauges are supposed to be checked and calibrated annually. Being mechanical devices they can become inaccurate with age or by getting bumped wrong or if the mechanism inside breaks or becomes corroded, etc. It might read 10 psi but the actual pressure could be something else. If the actual pressure is higher than the displayed pressure, then no harm if it isn't too far off. If the actual pressure is lower than the displayed pressure, then you aren't reaching the temps needed to kill the bad stuff and bad things can happen.

What I did.

I took the Blackberry/blueberry jam that was too thick and seedy and dumped it back into the pot with three cups of water. Boiled it and ran it through a strainer. Then put it back in the pot and added a package of Mrs. Wages pectin. It's a bit more firm than I'd like but still decent enough to eat.

It's thicker than a jelly but not seedy either. Tastes better too I think. I'm not sure I'll make this again.

Now to redo the Cranberry and grape. I wish they'd come out better because they do taste good.

TTFN,

Rancher, slow learner, Hicks.

Just weighing in here a bit. To find if the pressure gage is TOTALLY correct the gage would have to be tested against a known pressure, be it air or steam, It's not all that hard to just change out the gage because the thread on the gage will either be 1/8 NPT, or 1/4 NPT. ( just make sure the safe numbers correspond) In my opinion it's not necessary to worry about the gage if it looks to be in good condition, it more than likely is. If the gasket leaks when it starts to build up steam, then it's probably time to get a new gasket. Most pressure vessels have a safety device built into them. (something like a little screw-in device that will blow before the pressure gets above a safe level. My pressure cooker is maybe over 40 years old, & still doing great... Jim

Back
Top Bottom