What are you canning now?

rancher hicks --

I planted my bush squash in a railroad tie bed... It's a long row. The squashes came in thick and created quite the hedge. And it is easy to harvest as you can get at them from two sides vs. if you put a group of them in a raised bed. In my raised beds, dense things that they are, the center is an impenetrable jungle.

Sorry, missed the questions about the Cherry Pie filling.

1. the recipe I used was from the BALL Complete Book of Home Preserving. I had to make 2 changes to the recipe.
a. the recipe calls for FROZEN cherries and all I had were fresh
b. I had to cut the recipe in 1/2

2. the cherries I had were picked at a U-Pick Orchard up in Door County Wisconsin. They are a type of Tart Pie Cherry - not sure what variety, but they were very good and almost over-ripe. DH said they were too tart for him to eat, I thought they were almost sweet ... my taste buds are off for some reason.

3. the reason for the amazement over the deep rich color of the pie filling is that the cherries were a lighter red color and the insides of them were almost cream-colored. the pie filling is much darker than the cherries were.

Today was my first attempt to pressure can. I did 2 batches of venison. First batch was ground venison. I dry packed cooked meat. I made 10 pints, and everything appears to be good. My second batch was also venison, cut up into stewing chunks. I browned all the meat until no longer pink. I saved the meat juices added 2 cups of water, and used that to add liquid to the jars. I made 9 pints of these. Everything was going very well, until just to the end. While I was reducing the pressure, and before opening up the canner, one of the jars popped it's lid. Jar wasn't broken, but some of the meat appeared to pop out of the jar. All the jars have sealed. Any ideas what happened to make the jar not only not seal, but to pop off the entire 2 pc lid?
Other than the opps, I think I did okay for the first attempt!

You shouldn't be reducing the pressure. It should be coming back to local pressure on it's own. When the pressure reads full zero, then you remove the pressure cock or the weight, and leave it there for at least 5 minutes. THEN you take the lid off.

The rings loosen while you can and the fast change in pressure when you opened the lid popped the resin flat off and knocked the ring off with it.

Welcome to pressure canning.

I am normally a lurker here, but I have to brag a bit. I've been looking at this at the hardware store in town. They had it marked down to $69.99. I sent a picture to the Hubs and said "Someday...". A lady that worked there stopped and asked if I needed help and I told her how I'd been looking at that a long time. Long story short, it had been on the shelf for 15 years and she marked it down to $49.99 for me to take it out the door that day. It was great making juice with no cheese cloth.

I am normally a lurker here, but I have to brag a bit. I've been looking at this at the hardware store in town. They had it marked down to $69.99. I sent a picture to the Hubs and said "Someday...". A lady that worked there stopped and asked if I needed help and I told her how I'd been looking at that a long time. Long story short, it had been on the shelf for 15 years and she marked it down to $49.99 for me to take it out the door that day. It was great making juice with no cheese cloth.

Nice score! Love when you can haggle the price ;)

It's always nice to save some $$. What kind of juice have you made with it so far?

@shortgrass I used the Mrs. Wages dill packet this year. They turned out delicious. I have used the Ball dill packet before and could take it or leave it. Not impressed. The Ball bread and butter mix is pretty good, but I made my bread and butter pickles from scratch this year because I happened to have all the spices on hand.

That was too easy.... I'm suspicious ;)

Where did my 6 week brine go?

Back
Top Bottom