What are you canning now?

Hey guys! I've only done water bath canning so far -- jams, pickles (both peppers and cukes), tomato products, and salsa. I think I'd like to get a pressure canner to do other canning items. Any suggestions on pressure canner brands? Thanks!

Quote:
If you go back to page 370 and post 3769, I had just asked the same question so there are some preferences posted there.
big_smile.png
I just got it in the mail about 2 days ago so I haven't gotten to use it yet
roll.png

Quote:
Well I got my new canner and before I actually put food in I'm going to do a dry run (well, water of coarse but no jars that I can mess up) but then, I'm readyto get going. I just got the last of my chili out of the freezer so the next batch I make, I would like to can. Mine has sausage, beef and beans and then the rest of the chili stuff so how long and at what pressure would I process these quarts??

I canned my pint jars at 10 lbs of pressure for 75 minutes. If you have a manual you can check what that says. Your meat will probably be the ingredient that requires the longest processing time. Quarts will be 90 minutes at 10 lbs of pressure.

Someone asked me today - "What in the world could you POSSIBLY be canning this time of year?!" as if you simply put a pressure canner away once fall is over!!
gig.gif
Heck, I still have some empty jars I plan on filling with potatoes and carrots! I use my time wisely I guess.

Quote:
I have a Mirro that I love. Presto is very popular. I think they are all probably pretty much the same. They seem to be reliable. I was in Wal-mart the other day to get canning lids and I saw they had one pressure canner on the shelf for about $65.00. It may have been a Presto but I'm not certain. It seems that Wal-mart has gotten smart and is stocking canning stuff all year long now. They had everything you could use for canning - jar lifter, lids, rings, sauce mixes, salt, etc. Don't know if they are all doing that but it's worth a look. Good luck with getting a pressure canner! You won't be sorry!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Well I got my new canner and before I actually put food in I'm going to do a dry run (well, water of coarse but no jars that I can mess up) but then, I'm readyto get going. I just got the last of my chili out of the freezer so the next batch I make, I would like to can. Mine has sausage, beef and beans and then the rest of the chili stuff so how long and at what pressure would I process these quarts??

I canned my pint jars at 10 lbs of pressure for 75 minutes. If you have a manual you can check what that says. Your meat will probably be the ingredient that requires the longest processing time. Quarts will be 90 minutes at 10 lbs of pressure.

Someone asked me today - "What in the world could you POSSIBLY be canning this time of year?!" as if you simply put a pressure canner away once fall is over!!
gig.gif
Heck, I still have some empty jars I plan on filling with potatoes and carrots! I use my time wisely I guess.

At some point in the past there were women who preserved all of their produce as it came ripe. I don't know who they were or how they did it, but a fair amount of mine gets frozen until winter at which point I have more time in the house, less maintenance needing done in the garden and running the stove non-stop doesn't increase how much AC I'm using. Just makes sense to me to do it this way.

Quote:

gig.gif

At some point in the past there were women who preserved all of their produce as it came ripe. I don't know who they were or how they did it, but a fair amount of mine gets frozen until winter at which point I have more time in the house, less maintenance needing done in the garden and running the stove non-stop doesn't increase how much AC I'm using. Just makes sense to me to do it this way.

I'm not quite there, but probably as close as most "modern day yet traditional" women get. Sounds like you're close to it as well, Olive Hill. In the past many things were so different - those women did not work outside the home, freezers were not available (heck, one was lucky to have an ice box and eventually a refrigerator), NO AC, etc. So, if they wanted it or it meant keeping the family in food for the Winter, then they got it done a harvest time. Those same women would probaby have given anything to have our few simple conveniences and do what we do. Well, on the other hand our hectic and fast paced modern times would not have suited them at all.
smile.png

Scoop - agreed! I never put my canners away! In Winter I'm canning beans (pintos, kidney, black, white beans, etc), getting frozen fruits or juices out to process into jams, canning any potatoes that won't keep any longer in root cellar storage, leftover chili or stews prepped on the wood cookstove as a meal, frozen meats then canned for convenience or stocks, etc, etc.

Last edited:
Olive Hill - I know exactly what you are talking about! I've frozen tomatoes in the summer and then canned them much later. Same with raspberries and blackberries. It's great not having to heat up a house when it's in the 90's. Also, with tomatoes, I skin and chop them before I freeze them. Then when I have an overabundance I can them and half the work is already done. Another benefit is that I can make sure I have all my jars cleaned and all of the ingredients I want to put in the tomatoes before I start. I really do love canning this way.
Kim - I have yet to can kidney beans but I've given it a lot of thought! Maybe some day!
smile.png

Quote:
LOL

Quote:
I also freeze tomatoes when I can't get to them during Summer harvest time. This year I used a lot of them in Brunswick Stew and Salsas....when time permitted in late Fall. I really could use more frozen tomatoes, but I'm out now. It wasn't a good a tomato year. I did can plenty during the season for Winter/Spring use in sauces, chilis, stews, etc.

ETA: Scoop - I'm originally from Central PA as well....Warriors Mark, near Huntindon / Altoona / Tyrone. We went to school in Tyrone, PA/ Most of my relatives are Penn State grads ....but I went to college in Philadelphia.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom