What are you canning now?

Quote:
Does the Australian government have information on the web? Here in the states just about all of that information can be found online and varies state to state. If not, calling your local branch of whatever government entity handles it should probably do the trick.

Yeah it does. I think the licence for small commercial selling is like two grand. Bah. I'll check!!

Quote:
Feel like sharing a recipe?
smile.png

Let me check licencing and if I decide it's not worth selling I totally will!!!
smile.png

(lol okay that makes it sound like my food isn't worth it. Not that, just I don't want to pay a bucketload to sell random jarred mushrooms)

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi Sandee,

How did you do this? My grandma has a grapefruit tree that is loaded with fruit. No one really likes them but I enjoy them. I would love to be able to can some & have it handy. Thanks!

I posted a few. and so did someone else on this thread last fall. who knows how far back, but I saved the link for one or two. But I don't know what file they are in. I will get back.

http://fcit.usf.edu/florida/docs/c/citrus2.htm
http://www.pickyourown.org/canningcitrus.php

Hello,

Thanks for the links! I really appreciate it. Im heading out there today to see her, so I might come home with a few bags of grapefruits.
lol.png

I just canned 8 pint of chicken stock (from store-bought fryers on sale). There are 7 or 8 more pints left to can, will do those when I get home. I'm not sure we save money with it, in fact I'm pretty sure we don't, but the taste is worth it. I froze 6 meal sized packages, each containing a boned leg quarter and a boned breast, for DH (likes white meat) and myself(like dark meat).

Got 10 pounds of grapefruit for $2.85 yesterday. Today I have processed the first 5 pounds. 1 pint packed with the outer skin and the last little bit of my vodka, grapefruit extract anyone? And 6 pints of segments that are in the water bath right now. I have to go into town tomorrow so will pick up another bottle of vodka, more apple juice and work on the other 5 pounds this weekend.

Quote:
Be Careful with wasting your perfectly good vodka. I made pectin from the grapefruit...(No emoticon for that face) BITTER. The bitterest thing a human can consume and not die.
Zest carefully, and try it before you make a bunch.

I have only done lemons and limes for citrus, no oranges or grapefruit. As for pectin, I've only made it from apples. In fact, I have 3 gallon freezer bags full of apple cores and peelings! Maybe time to whip up more pectin???
roll.png
Hmmmmm...?

Back
Top Bottom