What are you canning now?

Quote:
You need a pressure canner for the crops you've mentioned. While your neighbor may be lucky so far, it isn't worth the risk. Botulism is quite deadly, and it only takes one jar.

I have 2 pressure canners, both by Presto - 16 qt and 23 qt models. They're 20 - 25 yrs old and have served me well. Based on my experience, I would gladly purchase them again.

Many folks like the All American brand because they don't require the rubber seals. They're a bit more pricey though.

Quote:
How many quarts does the 16 qt do at one time ?

I am assuming when they are label 16 quarts, the manufactures are stating total capacity including water etc. . .

So, the OLD PRESTO's need rubber seals. . . . Do the NEW PRESTO's need rubber seals too ?

Is the only difference between the All American brand and Presto brand the rubber seals ?

I saw an ad for a Fagor brand. . . does any one have or would recommend this brand ?

Quote:
I have almost five feet of snow still on the ground - but, the trees are tapped and ready for when the days get above freezing and the nights stay below. Sugaring is the first sign of spring (and snow fleas). My seedlings are started - I am so ready for spring!

I made yogurt for the first time this past weekend - I surprised myself how good it was.

Snow.... what's that??
tongue.png
lau.gif

I planted some sugar maples a couple of years ago, just waiting for then to get big enough for that day,
pop.gif
then again it may be my kids who do it. They were just a bit bigger than a pencil in diameter when I planted them.
lol.png

Quote:
Yes, as in the little white and or red flowered weed that grows in your yard.
smile.png
Tastes allot like honey and is soo pretty in a jar!
big_smile.png
You use the flower heads and steep it into tea. Vfem may have the recipe posted somewhere in this thread I believe?? She does an awesome honey suckle and rose jelly too!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
How many quarts does the 16 qt do at one time ?

I am assuming when they are label 16 quarts, the manufactures are stating total capacity including water etc. . .

So, the OLD PRESTO's need rubber seals. . . . Do the NEW PRESTO's need rubber seals too ?

Is the only difference between the All American brand and Presto brand the rubber seals ?

I saw an ad for a Fagor brand. . . does any one have or would recommend this brand ?

I've never seen Fagor brand canning stuff around - which suggests replacement parts would be hard to find. Presto is ubiquitous - I can get replacement rings at the local hardware store.

FWIW - I love my new Presto 23qt. It was reasonably priced and it's easy to use.

Quote:
smile.png
big_smile.png
You use the flower heads and steep it into tea. Vfem may have the recipe posted somewhere in this thread I believe?? She does an awesome honey suckle and rose jelly too!
thumbsup.gif

You're right, I do the clover too! LOL

Quite simple actually, I only use the flower (the greens are bitter) and I get about 2 cups of the heads and seep them like tea in hot water over night. (About 4 cups of water cover them well). Then after you have gotta the flowers out of the 'tea'. Use 2 cups of the flower tea, 1 Tbsp lemon juice, and 1 packet of liquid pectin and bring to a boil. Then add 4 cups of sugar, another boil for 1 minute and ladle into sterilized jars. Lid and water bath for 10 minutes.

This works with ANY flower you want to make into jelly... rose petals (minus the bitter white part of the petal), violets, dandelions, honeysuckle, lavender, ect.

And today I'm doing the lavender!
big_smile.png

Quote:
smile.png
big_smile.png
thumbsup.gif

Quite simple actually, I only use the flower (the greens are bitter) and I get about 2 cups of the heads and seep them like tea in hot water over night. (About 4 cups of water cover them well). Then after you have gotta the flowers out of the 'tea'. Use 2 cups of the flower tea, 1 Tbsp lemon juice, and 1 packet of liquid pectin and bring to a boil. Then add 4 cups of sugar, another boil for 1 minute and ladle into sterilized jars. Lid and water bath for 10 minutes.

This works with ANY flower you want to make into jelly... rose petals (minus the bitter white part of the petal), violets, dandelions, honeysuckle, lavender, ect.

big_smile.png

I am very excited to finally plant some lavender this year, wouldn't mind some honey suckle too! You have got me sooo hooked.
tongue.png

Quote:
smile.png
big_smile.png
thumbsup.gif

big_smile.png

Do you know what breeds of lavender are edible? I keep finding lavender everywhere but I can never tell if it's the eating kind or not and I don't want to grow the smelly kind until I have more space - I want to eat it! (mostly because in school we made dark chocolate lavender tortes that were AMAZING)

Back
Top Bottom