What are you canning now?

Anyone willing to share a recipe for Canned Apple Pie?

The apples are coming at the end of this week or beginning of next and I want to be ready when they show up. Turns out the JohnaGolds have been hailed on and are a total loss, so Mac's, Johnathans and Golden Delicious are what I will be getting. I have 5 pounds of Granny Smith given to me by a friend that I will be mixing in also.

For apple pie filling, I'd use the Macs and the Grannys. They have good texture and a tart taste that keeps the filling from being either too mushy or too sweet.

I don't actually use "recipes" much except for baking where you have to get the chemistry right. When I can filling, I do use minute tapioca at 2 T per quart, which is about the right amount for a pie. I always add a bit of salt to bring out the flavor...just a sprinkle or two. After tasting the apples, I add some brown sugar...more if it's real tart, less if it's sweeter but usually 1/3 C per quart. I generally toss in about a T of lemon juice as well. When I open the jar to make the pie, I taste again and can add more sugar or lemon before I bake it. And I always dot it with some butter...makes a lovely glaze and a richer flavor.

For apple pie filling, I'd use the Macs and the Grannys. They have good texture and a tart taste that keeps the filling from being either too mushy or too sweet.

I don't actually use "recipes" much except for baking where you have to get the chemistry right. When I can filling, I do use minute tapioca at 2 T per quart, which is about the right amount for a pie. I always add a bit of salt to bring out the flavor...just a sprinkle or two. After tasting the apples, I add some brown sugar...more if it's real tart, less if it's sweeter but usually 1/3 C per quart. I generally toss in about a T of lemon juice as well. When I open the jar to make the pie, I taste again and can add more sugar or lemon before I bake it. And I always dot it with some butter...makes a lovely glaze and a richer flavor.

This sounds far easier than anything I've ever tried! Do you mix all together then put in the jar, or just put it all in and let the processing cook it?

My "recipe" is almost like Mickeys. I peel and slice the apples into a big bowl, add sugar and spices I like, add tapioca (or tapioca flour), a little lemon juice and mix it all together. Pack tightly into a quart canning jar. Process. LATER make pie dough, dump in apples and bake! It is SO great to make a "home-made" dessert at the last minute!

Wow, those sound great! Thank you so much!

I will have to make some with white sugar - like hubby is used to, but I will have to try some with brown sugar also - yum!
Never heard of tapioca flour - may have to look for that.

Oh my, that sounds good, CK...care to share a recipe? I don't care for pumpkin myself but I've got a couple here who love it!

Pozees, I've actually done it all in one and separately by the jar. In a way, by the jar is easier because if they're all in a big bowl, I'm never sure how much is there, so I don't know how much sugar and spice to add. For the last batch, I put the salt, lemon juice, cinnamon and tapioca in the jar, added 1/2 C brown sugar then filled it up with the apple slices. Haven't opened one yet, so not sure how it came out :)

Oh my, that sounds good, CK...care to share a recipe? I don't care for pumpkin myself but I've got a couple here who love it!

Pozees, I've actually done it all in one and separately by the jar. In a way, by the jar is easier because if they're all in a big bowl, I'm never sure how much is there, so I don't know how much sugar and spice to add. For the last batch, I put the salt, lemon juice, cinnamon and tapioca in the jar, added 1/2 C brown sugar then filled it up with the apple slices. Haven't opened one yet, so not sure how it came out :)

I like that idea - now you have to open one and make a pie so you can tell us how well it worked! LOL

Yes I will post the recipe for the pumpkin butter tomorrow when I get home but it is real simple, puree some pumpkin, throw it in a crock pot add brown sugar, cinnamon and cook down for 12-24 hours. Look for it by tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom