What are you reading

Miss Prissy,

I haven't read any of the books by the Monks. I can’t remember if they look interesting our not.

I did read the dog whisperer guy's (Cesar Millan) book. I picked up a couple of tips from it, but I believe his "program" (from lack of a better word) is unrealistic and undoable.

McConnell changed how I live with our dogs. I don’t know if her books are for everyone, but I really like the depth and insight she brings to the human/dog interaction. Definitely not a dog training book, but a book on how we communicate with our puppies.

Jim

LindaN,

Being born and bred in the city, I'm curious, where they do you live (near the el) that they let you have chickens??

Alos, I liked the retelling of the odd old testament story
smile.png

Jim

I love that so many of us like the same books - omnivore's dilemma was great. So was Guns Germs and Steel and also Collapse by Jared Diamond.

I'm now reading Merle's door and enslaved by ducks. Oh and read Animal Vegetable miracle a couple month's back - that was great.

Well, tonight I read the Jungle Book and a very intriguing story called Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is a fascinating tale about the trials of lower case letters making a journey up a coconut tree. I held my breath in shock and disappointment as the letters all tumbled out of the tree, fearing the worse. However, with perseverance the letters regain their strength and once again conquer their fears Despite their injuries, make their way back up the tree. Poor loose-toothed 't' and black-eyed 'p'.
lol.png
Can you tell I have a 2 1/2 yr old?? It's her favorite book and I read it most every night.
Besides that I just picked up a 1960's romance novel, but have yet to get past the one page prologue.

**Edited for long run on sentence.
roll.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Angie, do you ever hide certain books? I was certain that if I every had to read Things That Go and Trucks again, I would run mad and be found somewhere mumbling " that's a v-shaped dump truck, it is made for hauling rocks" over and over. Every time we got in the car there was a constant litany of every kind of construction vehicle made.

I've read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle and loved it. I like Barbara Kingsolver's novels too. She has a great voice.

Mountain Man Jim, it's legal to raise chickens in Chicago!
smile.png

I've fought long and hard to make sure it STAYS legal, too!

I'm about 8 city blocks (one mile) from an el stop, 4 blocks from a commuter rail station (Metra), and 2 blocks from a major expressway (I-94). We're also directly under a major flight path/approach to O'Hare airport.

We're about as urban as you can get, although we do have a detached single family home and a yard.

And we have our chickens!
big_smile.png

I also have about 250 sq feet of gardening space devoted just to edibles, and another 500 sq feet of ornamentals. You'd be surprised what you can do with a city lot!

Next year, I'm putting up a small, passive solar greenhouse and a new chicken coop. No need to move to the wide open countryside...just learning to make what I have work for me.

And I think it's nice that I really don't stress about gas prices since I rarely need to drive anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom