What are your chicken goals

Pics

Hedgeland Farms

Crowing
May 5, 2022
Southern Illinois
So in talks with my hubby, I am realizing my chicken goals are changing.
Originally I wanted a smallish flock (I have 19 girls, 1 cockerel) and whatever extra eggs we get I just give away, mainly at work.

(Literally keeping 60-80 eggs in my fridge, fam of 7, and likely give away 7 dozen or so a wk. )

I knew I wanted to raise our own meat chickens too.

In discussion, I realized I want more eggs to give away! (Yes I said give away, makes my heart super happy to just provide people with eggs) not only that, my kids would like to sell eggs at the farmers market.

So we are nixing the turkeys for now, focused on a second coop and run for abt 30 more chickens!!! These will be dual purpose as the goal to raise our own meat hasn't been eliminated. (Anyone have dual purpose breed suggestions?)

So as of now the goals are:
50 chickens or so running around.
A plethora of eggs to give away/ kids to sell
and meat for the freezer.

What are your chicken goals??

Attachments

• chicken-g55b1a84b0_640.jpg
    chicken-g55b1a84b0_640.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 211
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have any chicken goals other than developing a new breed of chicken! Of course, we aren't going to go through the trouble of making it an actual breed, it's just going to be something to do! :) We aren't aiming for specific characteristics for the new breed, we are going to see how they turn out.

Our sire is going to be our Cochin/Ameraucana rooster and the dam is going to be our Welsummer (when she grows up).

These are great goals! I think for me, I would like to have somewhere between 50-100 for egg laying and as pets, plus probably some for meat.

I really like learning about chicken genetics as well. I might like to have a few projects in the future, though not sure what yet. I'll likely end up getting some with fun colors and patterns, and maybe different egg colors as well. I also like having extra eggs to give away (and having some to sell would be nice as well).

Maybe I'd like to get some rarer breeds in the future, too. Not sure which ones yet, though, since I'm still learning about different breeds.

I started out with regular feed store chicks, but that was limiting, because I wanted to have chicks when I wanted them, not just March and April. Then I tried my hand at hatching. I was amazed that I could make my own incubators. Then I discovered unique chickens blue feathered ones. Then I found dark egg layers, then I found I could create gray colored eggs. Then when I had more eggs than I needed I gave some to friends, they wanted more eggs than I had to offer. Then I found surprise boxes of chicks and have many surprise breeds and many chickens to supply eggs. This year and into the next season, I am going to not order chicks, because the surprise is fun, but I do end up with breeds I would never pick. I am ordering eggs to hatch this winter. interesting rare, with production, (I have hatched in the winter before.) And wisely not have chicks this spring.

Love your flock goals, that's awesome!

We just started our small flock this summer. I don't know that we have "goals," really, but I guess they would be:
  • Have enough eggs to give to friends and family
  • Continue learning about chickens in general and how to care for them well.
  • Continue visiting, bonding with, and getting to know our own flock.
  • Add to the flock in spring or summer trying a couple of new breeds
  • Don't go crazy lol. We only have room for about a dozen birds, but I could see myself having 20+ VERY easily 😅

Back
Top Bottom