What are your favorite chicken treats and why?

Best Chicken Treats!

• Total voters
Pics

Eric Katz - Kulisha

In the Brooder
Jul 7, 2017
Ann Arbor, MI
Hey all, I'm curious about chicken treats and if there's any that you've noticed your chickens like more or you think make tastier eggs. I think chicken treats would be nice, but they're so darn expensive!

Also, what are your thoughts on feeding chickens treats and in what frequency should it be done? What is your splurge chicken treat that you do every once in a while and how often do you do it?

Please comment any treats or things that you specifically like!

I haven't noticed a change in egg flavor, as I have only had 3 from my girls so far (brand new layers). Mine freerange and eat a high protein chick starter, so I am pretty comfortable giving treats. I usually set whatever fruit, veggie, or other scraps/ treats onto the compost pile for them to scratch through and get whatever they want. Everything else is composted. I usually do this every couple of days as I collect more stuff. Some things they seem to really enjoy is watermelon, mealworms(dried), grapes, pasta, peaches, lettuce.etc

I only give mine scratch grains or mixed bird seed that contains BOSS aka Black Oil Sunflower Seeds. 20170610_142706.jpg I scatter on ground over a wide area so that all, including hens at bottom of pecking order get some. About a half a cup twice a day, for 5 standard size hens. What they consume in 10 to 15 minutes. I have given them more scratch grains in the past and egg quality and production would drop for the week each time I gave them extra scratch.
I tried frozen spinach and an apple core a couple of times when they were young, they didn't eat either.
I used to cut grass for them daily 1 1/2 inches or less when available and they like that, But now I let them free range 2 hours before sunset daily, weather permitting. GC

We are new to chickens this year, so our experience is limited, but.. our 22 girls and 1 boy enjoy mealworms the best. They get them as a treat when they come in on free-ranging days. I do have a treat that might be just as popular with our flock though. I concocted it when the olders were probably 7 to 8 weeks old. I use oats (like for oatmeal) about 1 TBL of applesauce and about 3 to 4 TBL of plain yogurt. I mix that all together and then add in some of their chick crumble. It makes a pretty thick mixture that they all go absolutely bonkers for. I don't think it takes all of them 2 consecutive minutes to clean up a small cereal bowl full (divided out into 4 chick serving containers in the run)... Watermelon is a close runner-up to "chick treat".

I buy my girls the corn on the cob from the discount bin.. I hold the cobs and they gather around me , I'm covered in corn juice by the time they're done , but it's fun for all

This might be a silly question, but here goes! Do you cook it first? Seems like it would be tough for them to get uncooked corn off the cob, while you are holding it...?

I have been giving mine brown rice congee aka brown rice cooked into rice soup and flavored with organic broth to the consistency of oatmeal porridge. They go absolutely bonkers for it!

The treats I give my birds that they LOVE!:

Small amounts of butter
Cheese
Cornmeal or Oatmeal drizzled in coconut oil
Coconut shavings

One of many healthy treats I give them is beets. Be warned that their poop will look bloody!

As for egg taste, I don't think much will modify the taste of eggs. That is my opinion and I am sure much more experienced people could comment on the ability of different foods altering the taste of eggs.
Good Luck!!

Back
Top Bottom