What are your must have's when getting baby chicks

mrskenmore

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 21, 2014
Long Island, NY
Hi All!

I will be getting my fourth batch of chicks at the end of the month. Boy have I learned A LOT since my first babies arrived back in 2014. I feel like I can always learn more when it comes to chicks and raising chickens. What are some of your must haves when it comes to raising chicks- Do you use electrolytes on arrival? Do you put down shavings? What do you house them in?

Here are a few things I swear by:
- For the last batch of chicks I switched over to the Brinsea Ecoglow - I couldn't be happier!

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...RzQigGWYpNoOoFOZ1Y8sSLdfTg81-EXQaAojcEALw_wcB

- The shavings drive me nuts, for the very beginning I use cheap paper towels, it is cleaner and creates less dust

- Last batch I used electrolytes on arrival with good results, does anyone use this or a nutridrench automatically on arrival?

- They are kept in a large plastic deck box with a screened top so they can't fly out after the last week

- I take pics of them the first few days with lots of videos too! - I can never get over how quickly they grow... My first batch of chicks I was working 13 hour days, I would come home and look at them thinking... you didn't have that feather this morning lol

- After a few days of them settling in I like to invite family over (especially those with children) to socialize with the chicks. It is great to see them interact and have the children get such a kick out of them

- I never kiss or snuggle baby chicks- I always wash my hands before and after handling them- I learned the hard way last time after a case of salmonella

- They go outside in 6-8 weeks depending on the weather or when they start to annoy me in the house lol

- With the Ecoglow I am able to get them on a natural sleep cycle since I don't need a lamp for heat source. This way they know to go to bed when the light is off they tend to wake up when the sun peeks in the window or I turn on the lights to the room

Let me know what you have learned over the years!

20190515_194937.jpg

Cute pics! What is it about chicks in mugs? So adorable!

I've learned that it's not that hard to raise chicks. They are made of tougher stuff than one would expect. Common sense goes a long way. And SO MUCH easier than ducks!

My must haves include a mama heating pad, Nutridrench, and puppy pads. I brood in whatever is available: bins, boxes, cages, the duck house. Not a big production here.

But broody mamas are MUCH better, imo!!!

Hi All!

I will be getting my fourth batch of chicks at the end of the month. Boy have I learned A LOT since my first babies arrived back in 2014. I feel like I can always learn more when it comes to chicks and raising chickens. What are some of your must haves when it comes to raising chicks- Do you use electrolytes on arrival? Do you put down shavings? What do you house them in?

Here are a few things I swear by:
- For the last batch of chicks I switched over to the Brinsea Ecoglow - I couldn't be happier!

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...RzQigGWYpNoOoFOZ1Y8sSLdfTg81-EXQaAojcEALw_wcB

- The shavings drive me nuts, for the very beginning I use cheap paper towels, it is cleaner and creates less dust

- Last batch I used electrolytes on arrival with good results, does anyone use this or a nutridrench automatically on arrival?

- They are kept in a large plastic deck box with a screened top so they can't fly out after the last week

- I take pics of them the first few days with lots of videos too! - I can never get over how quickly they grow... My first batch of chicks I was working 13 hour days, I would come home and look at them thinking... you didn't have that feather this morning lol

- After a few days of them settling in I like to invite family over (especially those with children) to socialize with the chicks. It is great to see them interact and have the children get such a kick out of them

- I never kiss or snuggle baby chicks- I always wash my hands before and after handling them- I learned the hard way last time after a case of salmonella

- They go outside in 6-8 weeks depending on the weather or when they start to annoy me in the house lol

- With the Ecoglow I am able to get them on a natural sleep cycle since I don't need a lamp for heat source. This way they know to go to bed when the light is off they tend to wake up when the sun peeks in the window or I turn on the lights to the room

Let me know what you have learned over the years!

View attachment 3059849
This is my second yeat raising chicks. My must haves are
1. A brooder which is a tote.
2. Bedding
3.brooder plate made a difference this year
4. Electrolytes i use these on arrival.
5. Chick feed non medicated.
6. Now i will try to keep corid on hand since my chicks may need it right now.

This is my second yeat raising chicks. My must haves are
1. A brooder which is a tote.
2. Bedding
3.brooder plate made a difference this year
4. Electrolytes i use these on arrival.
5. Chick feed non medicated.
6. Now i will try to keep corid on hand since my chicks may need it right now.
I use medicated chick feed- but don't have corid on hand- another item to add to the first aid kit!

Cute pics! What is it about chicks in mugs? So adorable!

I've learned that it's not that hard to raise chicks. They are made of tougher stuff than one would expect. Common sense goes a long way. And SO MUCH easier than ducks!

My must haves include a mama heating pad, Nutridrench, and puppy pads. I brood in whatever is available: bins, boxes, cages, the duck house. Not a big production here.

But broody mamas are MUCH better, imo!!!
You are right Aunt Angus- they are pretty hardy, I had one that fell off the top of the table when I was taking them out of the post box originally. She fell 4 feet. She will be celebrating her 8th birthday this month! :D

I agree- chicks in mugs make the best photos!!

Puppy pads are a great idea- I have a lot of those, would be smart to put under the waterer!

You are right Aunt Angus- they are pretty hardy, I had one that fell off the top of the table when I was taking them out of the post box originally. She fell 4 feet. She will be celebrating her 8th birthday this month! :D

I agree- chicks in mugs make the best photos!!

Puppy pads are a great idea- I have a lot of those, would be smart to put under the waterer!
I also read that people put there water in a frisbee too to contain the mess!

I also read that people put there water in a frisbee too to contain the mess!
I have some chicks in a cage right now. I haven't brooded chickens indoors in a while. The last thing I brooded indoors were ducklings. I have a hard time calling what chicks make "a mess" any more - haha! Chicks are so CLEAN by comparison!
:gig

Back
Top Bottom