What Are Your Winter Woes?

We got some downright comfy 40's over the weekend with a bunch of rain. The creek in the back yard now has some spots where the ice is gone and the ducks have been frolicking in the running water all day. 34* and run off is pool party weather for them. It gives me a break from the mess they usually make in their water tub, so I'll be just as sad as the ducks when the ice closes up again.

We've had upper 30's and 40's (Fahrenheit) lately too, so now comes the mud. And nobody loves mud more than my beautiful white pekin. Except she's not white anymore. Because mud. Sigh, is it spring yet?

We've had upper 30's and 40's (Fahrenheit) lately too, so now comes the mud. And nobody loves mud more than my beautiful white pekin. Except she's not white anymore. Because mud. Sigh, is it spring yet?
mud is next to heaven in the water fowl kingdom
tongue.png
and spring is one day closer
wee.gif

So, with our lovely thaw a few days ago, I managed to get the door on the duck run to close again. YAY!!! And, yes, I was smart enough to move the water dishes back from the door so we don't have a repeat performance! Now, all I have left is ice laden food hunks all over (spring thaw is going to full of food!!) and an ice mountain about 15' from the duck run where I dump the dirty water a couple times a day.

So, with our lovely thaw a few days ago, I managed to get the door on the duck run to close again. YAY!!! And, yes, I was smart enough to move the water dishes back from the door so we don't have a repeat performance! Now, all I have left is ice laden food hunks all over (spring thaw is going to full of food!!) and an ice mountain about 15' from the duck run where I dump the dirty water a couple times a day.
You give new meaning to the word Ice Sculptors.
lol.png

I think it is "suiting up", and wet cold hands. I have about a 100 + birds this year. I do have a matted, duck enclosure divided into apartments, with several doors, then there are outside runs...which are on a slope to drain, but I 'should' have put gravel in when I could. the only way I could get some in is by small wheelbarrow now. I make so with putting some hay or woodchips in portions of it. But all but the Silkies go out into 3 separate pastures daytime, unless it is raining hard or I have to go out all day and won't be back till dark. I hose the mats every day or eod. top off or empty water buckets, and then there are half dozen kiddie pools in different areas...I empty once or twice a week usually. I add hay or leaves to the miniduck houses if needed. some are in raised pens on wire and others have a pond rock pen I can hose. Now when it freezes really hard, (the teens, not very often in Georgia!) I end up with frozen bucket mushrooms gracing the pens!
ep.gif
(sometimes I make ice block towers out of them) I try to dump all ponds if we are getting a couple days of nasty hard freezes and not above 30's in daytime. Sometimes I can cheat and leave a couple inches of water and then add some on top the next day...sometimes this backfires and the block floats up and I have to chuck it out or ducks just have a floating iceberg. I also have to walk the hoses out to drain ....and if I forget, I have to drag them out to thaw and get out a spare hose and change over all the connecters (quick connects to my freeze proof facet).

My problem is I have to wear rainpaints or waterproof overalls over my inside pants, waterproof boots and gloves, and coat. I have tried over 12 kinds of waterproof gloves and haven't found any that are really 100% waterproof, so I have 6 pairs, and end up clippnig them to child hangers over the utility sink, so I can rotate them for a week and they should be dry by then! Too Bad, as Schmidt gloves were waterproof and reasonable several years ago and now no longer pass the dip the hand in wet bucket test. So, I keep ordering gloves, and sending them back....(sigh). I have Raynaulds Syndrome so getting cold hands is very painful,like frostbite.... I did find a Carters mans hat with earcovers that come down around my neck, and is waterproof and warm....
I thought the mats were enough, but when really cold, I do put hay on a section of each mat, and just keep adding as needed. Then I "unglue" the poo mat and use it on my plants, trees and garden as a fertilizer mat.....
The worst isn't snow, (it is nice and clean), it's cold rainy,windy 30's to low 40's,

The cause of most barn fires, is rodents chewing on the electrical cords....or something knocking them down. (hubby is fireman). I use brooder lamps with babies in garage, but I double tie the lamps from 2 sides, just in case.

The cause of most barn fires, is rodents chewing on the electrical cords....or something knocking them down. (hubby is fireman). I use brooder lamps with babies in garage, but I double tie the lamps from 2 sides, just in case.
AAAHH...rodents! I would not have guessed that! Thank you for answering, and please tell your hubby thank you for his service!

I hear ya about double tying those lamps. I go to great lengths to make them absolutely secure as possible!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom