Is it normal for a 4 month old Muscovy to breathe wheezy?

mrdelurk

Chirping
Jul 25, 2020
I know, the males communicate with a wheezy sound, but I hear this ducky wheeze even when just plain breathing.
It does not cough or sneeze at all otherwise. Perhaps it is just too fat? The poop has often orange blobs of fat, as it loves getting pieces of chopped hot dog besides the crumble.

One thing it doesn't care for (as it grew up indoors, as a rescue... I'm his "substitute mom") is going into water. At all. If I try putting it into the other ducks' pool outside, it jumps out right away. Even if the water is comfy warm already, heated by the sun. Yay, a dry duck. It will preen its feathers clean with his watery beak, but wading in to splash around, no chance...

Do you have pictures and video of the duckling?

Also, please do not feed hot dogs to ducks. They contain so many chemicals including nitrates and nitrites, and way to much salt. This would certainly cause any creature to retain water and get fat.

Many of my own Muscovy do not like water apart from drinking and dunking their heads.

Can you make a recording of the breathing? If your record on your phone, you have to upload to You Tube and then post the link on BYC

As for not liking bathing, I have three muscovy drakes and only one voluntarily goes in a wading pool to bathe. And that is only about once a week. The other two stinkers like to dunk their heads in the wading pool and just splash a little water on their backs. They get hosed down when they get too ripe. Interestingly, they also do not like rain and all three will take themselves back into their shed when there is rain.

My previous muscovy female was real water baby who was in and out of the wading pool all day splashing and having fun

Ever since my cell is ready to record audio, duckie boy is not wheezing anymore.
Since 2 days he started running after adult females (he is already bigger than them). I guess that was as good a way to lose the surplus weight as any :lol:.
Luckily the adult males give him a pass for being "the big boss's kid" (I think). I'm pretty sure Junior'd get his feathers pulled otherwise, they're the size of turkeys.

Ever since my cell is ready to record audio, duckie boy is not wheezing anymore.
Since 2 days he started running after adult females (he is already bigger than them). I guess that was as good a way to lose the surplus weight as any :lol:.
Luckily the adult males give him a pass for being "the big boss's kid" (I think). I'm pretty sure Junior'd get his feathers pulled otherwise, they're the size of turkeys.
I have a neighbor whose adult son was convinced my muscpvy drakes are turkeys!

Glad yours is nolonger wheezing.

I have a neighbor whose adult son was convinced my muscpvy drakes are turkeys!

Glad yours is nolonger wheezing.
The young man was convince .my two predominantly black muscovy are turkeys because of their parading around with their wings slightly arched and their feather slightly standing. The boys do that to show off to the world, and each other, what big boys they are. Curiously Butter, my all white drake, doesn't parade around like that. He may not need to as he is a very big muscovy drake.

Back
Top Bottom