What breed, and are they pullers or roosters?

vick01

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 5, 2014
Sydney,Australia
Hi. I'm new on here. I've had chickens for the last 2 years, and was given some one to two week old chicks back in July. They are now between 12 & 13 weeks old, and I'm curious what breed they are, and also if anyone can tell me if they're pullets or roosters. Here's some random photos I took today. Sorry. They're no good at standing still. There's 6 of them, including 5 white & 1 reddish.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC!

Those look like red sex links to me. If I'm right, and I'm fairly certain I am--albeit a noob--then only the red one is a hen, and whoever gave you those wanted to get rid of the roosters (because they knew by the color). There is no way you can keep five roosters and one hen together. Sorry if this is bad news. It is good news if you like chicken meat.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC!

Those look like red sex links to me. If I'm right, and I'm fairly certain I am--albeit a noob--then only the red one is a hen, and whoever gave you those wanted to get rid of the roosters (because they knew by the color). There is no way you can keep five roosters and one hen together. Sorry if this is bad news. It is good news if you like chicken meat.

I agree. They look like red sex links. 5 males and 1 female.

They are all Red Sex-links. The white ones are cockerels, and the red one is your only pullet.

Last edited:
Agreed with all above, you have a bunch of red sex links -- which means unless the person who gifted them to you knew nothing about sex links, they knew they were giving you a bunch of cockerels (beauty of sex links being that they are able to be sexed by sight based on color from hatch).

Welcome to BYC!

this.

They were hatched in a classroom. At the end of the 2 weeks, parents got the chance to take home some chicks. The website had info on the breeds:

Q. What breed are the chicks?
A. The breeds used for producing eggs for the HPH programme are Australorp, New Hampshire Sussex, Black and White Leghorn, and Lohmanns.

I was hoping they are Leghorns, but none of the leghorn pictures I've seen have the colouring on the wings. Some of the white ones are coming through with colouring on their heads and necks as well.

Back
Top Bottom