What breed and sex is this chicken!?

bpilgrim

Chirping
Jul 10, 2015
Hi Everyone, I bought some hatching eggs, and this one came out. I cannot remember for the life of me what breed she said they were, but only 2 hatched. :( He's about 2 months old, and really tame...Anyone recognize this as a breed? And can we tell sex yet? We named it "Rambo".

Thank you!

Thanks guys! He came out of a green egg. Is easter egger a breed!? Or does it mean a mix of everything!? And what's with the natural tameness? I didnt even try but this one and his sister or brother are not afraid of humans. They are both roosting beside me in my patio chair as I write this.

I just took a good look at my chicken. I inderstand that the Ameraucana has the beard and muffs and that the auracana has the ear tufts. On my bird, the muffs and beard are obvious, and im trying to identify the other feathers growing straight out of his ears. I cant find anythig on a breed that has all of beard, muffs and the ear tufts. Is there such a breed or do i call it a mix?

To be a true Ameraucana he would need to be one of the accepted colors, that's why he is an Easter Egger... I do not see true tufts on him either... Araucana tufts come out of a peduncle, a knob of flesh that sticks out under their ears... plus tufts are made of full feathers and not the fluffy fuzzies of beards or muffs...
Hope this helps! :)

Awesome. Thanls for the info! No, he doesnt have any flesh knobs I've ever noticed, just some strange feathers jutting straight from the ear
Region. Either way, they are such wonderful birds! Thanks everyone! Very sad, out of the dozen i bought, only 5 hatched. 3 died who had either neurilogical issues or couldnt walk at all. Of the two that lived, Rambo had splayed legs which i fixed, and the other had a slipped tendon at hatch with a sore on the joint. I could never pop it back in after the joint sore swelling went down. He's permanently disabled, but appears happy hopping on one leg.

Thanks guys! He came out of a green egg. Is easter egger a breed!? Or does it mean a mix of everything!? And what's with the natural tameness? I didnt even try but this one and his sister or brother are not afraid of humans. They are both roosting beside me in my patio chair as I write this.

Easter Eggers are just a mix that lays colored eggs that are often incorrectly marketed as Ameraucanas or Araucanas. I am surprised that yours are so friendly, mine are very skittish, but since they are a mix, he might have genetics for less flighty and friendlier birds.

Back
Top Bottom