What breed are my chickens and rooster please?

CherylBulgaria

Chirping
Jan 8, 2023
Hello everyone!
After posting my introduction yesterday, some of you asked me what breed my chickens are, and I have no idea! If you can answer this for me, I'd be most grateful.
We are in Bulgaria, eastern Europe, and we bought the chickens in a farmers market last May 2022, but not understanding the language well we weren't able to get any information about them.
The girls started laying last June around the middle of the month. I believe the rooster is a similar age but I can't be sure about that. He did look young when we got him. He's now a solid BIG boy, and even a little too big for our girls.
So here are some photos of them the week we got them, and some from today (two photos of the rooster because he's so handsome!). Thank you in advance for your help in identifying their breeds.
Cheryl
Edited to add, the black and grey hens lay large cream coloured eggs, and the brown hen lays smaller light brown eggs.

Attachments

• Size comparison young rooster and chickens.jpg
    Size comparison young rooster and chickens.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Young all chickens and rooster.jpg
    Young all chickens and rooster.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Young rooster.jpg
    Young rooster.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Black.JPG
    Black.JPG
    261.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Brown.JPG
    Brown.JPG
    361.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Grey.JPG
    Grey.JPG
    368.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Rooster 2.jpg
    Rooster 2.jpg
    843.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Rooster.JPG
    Rooster.JPG
    352.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I think they are a farm mix. The blue would be good to carry forward. If you incubate or one goes broody I'd just let the black and blue bird eggs incubate. The gold hen genetics would mess it up. The blue and black will continue on nicely.

Blue chickens produce blue, black and splash chicks. The blue gene is an inhibitor of black. One copy of the gene will produce blue birds, two copies produce splash.

The Blue cock over black produces 50% blue chicks and 50% black.
The Blue cock over blue hen makes 50% blue chicks, 25% black and 25% splash.

I think they are a farm mix. The blue would be good to carry forward. If you incubate or one goes broody I'd just let the black and blue bird eggs incubate. The gold hen genetics would mess it up. The blue and black will continue on nicely.

Blue chickens produce blue, black and splash chicks. The blue gene is an inhibitor of black. One copy of the gene will produce blue birds, two copies produce splash.

The Blue cock over black produces 50% blue chicks and 50% black.
The Blue cock over blue hen makes 50% blue chicks, 25% black and 25% splash.
Thank you very much for your informative reply. Very interesting and helpful. I do intend to have chicks if one of the hens goes broody, but not looking to incubate them myself, just let nature take its course. My goal is to keep the flock small, but to be self-sustaining when it comes to new generations. Your advice is very useful to me, thank you again. :)
Cheryl

They look like mixed breeds to me too. If you like the gold color, there’s no reason not to breed it forward, they’re your chickens and you don’t have to breed for consistent colors if you don’t want to.
Hi, yes I agree that Roosters are Awesome! Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. I guess when one of our girls goes broody we'll decide then which eggs to let her hatch. I think that because the gold one has the smaller eggs it would make sense from an egg eating point of view to breed the other two. But yes, you're right, I can choose to do what pleases me with my own chickens. :) She does have a beautiful colour though, so who knows what I'll decide at the time. Thanks again for your input. Have a lovely day! :)

These two are from my EE Roo Winston and my sister's lavender Orpington hen. The solid black girls are the same breeding and they have iridescent feathers randomly on their whole body

Attachments

• IMG_20230403_170418324.jpg
    IMG_20230403_170418324.jpg
    593 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom