What breed are my chickens?

The one on the left is a Brown Leghorn and the other three (from front to back) are a Barred Rock, a Black Australorp, and a Red Sex Link.

Correction, the left one is not a Brown Leghorn (the ear lobes and legs are the wrong color). Miyashi may be correct. It may be Old English (I've never had any of those).

I agree on them all expect for the pullet on the far left, she is a Silver Pheonix (note the long tail and body structure). As for the white earlobes, they usually come in very slowly (so earlobes will look reddish at first). The picture is also too far away to tell the color anyways. :)

Last edited:
Okay, those sound right. Except, I do know that the one in the back of the group of three (Sweet Dee) is a Golden Sex Link. Not sure if that's the same as Red. Peep (far left) is definitely the Silver Phoenix now that you say it, I am remembering why I got her. Barred Rock sounds right for the front (Arrow). And (Sweety), the black one, Australorp sounds right.

Thank you very much!

Okay, those sound right. Except, I do know that the one in the back of the group of three (Sweet Dee) is a Golden Sex Link. Not sure if that's the same as Red. Peep (far left) is definitely the Silver Phoenix now that you say it, I am remembering why I got her. Barred Rock sounds right for the front (Arrow). And (Sweety), the black one, Australorp sounds right.

Thank you very much!

Yes - it is the same thing.

Thank you very much!

Red Sex Links are sold by nurseries by a lot of different names (Golden Sex Link, Brown Sex Link, Golden Buff, Cinnamon Queen, Amber White, Golden Comet, ISA Brown, Babcock Brown, Bovans Goldline, etc.) but they are all crosses between Red Roosters (RIR, Production Red, N.H. Red) and White/Silver Hens (RIW, White Rock, Delaware, Light Sussex). Amberlinks are actually reverse Red Sex Links (white/silver rooster x red hen). Then of course, you have the Black Sex Links which are RIR roosters x Barred Rocks. Even though the personalities of these various sex links may vary somewhat, they are great layers of large, brown eggs.

Red Sex Links are sold by nurseries by a lot of different names (Golden Sex Link, Brown Sex Link, Golden Buff, Cinnamon Queen, Amber White, Golden Comet, ISA Brown, Babcock Brown, Bovans Goldline, etc.) but they are all crosses between Red Roosters (RIR, Production Red, N.H. Red) and White/Silver Hens (RIW, White Rock, Delaware, Light Sussex). Amberlinks are actually reverse Red Sex Links (white/silver rooster x red hen). Then of course, you have the Black Sex Links which are RIR roosters x Barred Rocks. Even though the personalities of these various sex links may vary somewhat, they are great layers of large, brown eggs.
Black Australorps are also great layers of large, brown eggs and the Barred Rocks are decent layers of large, brown eggs.

Black bird: Black Australorp. Should be an excellent layer of brown eggs for you--an Australorp holds the record for the most eggs produced in a single year.
Barred bird: Barred Plymouth Rock. Should also be a good layer of brown eggs.
Red/white bird: Red Sex-Link, (called by other names like Golden Sex-Link, Red Star, Cinnamon Queen, etc.) Another sweet-tempered brown egg laying machine.
Other bird: Golden Phoenix. Should be a fair layer of nice white eggs.

You have a beautiful flock!

Back
Top Bottom