What breed are my chickens?

Sylviaanne

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 17, 2012
Ozark, MO
Ok, I know I have a Crested Polish rooster, can't mistake him for anything else but what are the rest of my flock?
Red hen. This one did not come from Alan at Heartland. Production Red?

#2 Red rooster, I think he's Ameraucana. I edited to add that this one did come from Alan. Welsummer Roo?

#3 Black hen. Black Australorp?

#4 Easter Egger? Salmon Faverolle?

#4 She wouldn't be still, she has what looks like a beard and feathery feet.

#5 White Splash - Easter Egger? or Ameraucana?

#5 This hen has puffy cheeks.

#6 White Splash - Easter Egger? or Ameraucana?

#6 I had to chase this hen around.

#7 Everyone agrees this is a BO. I think this hen is a Buff Orpington. I don't know how I'm going to protect her and her babies once they have hatched. If she viciously protects her eggs and she does, how will I catch her and her babies to put them some where safe?

I have one more hen but she seems to be missing, I can't find her. We do have a sneaky predator around here but I'm hoping she is just hiding somewhere or maybe brooding on a nest we haven't found yet. I will start a new thread for the chicks I have.
(This one has been identified as an EE)This one is the missing hen, I'm pretty sure I kept track of her breed because she was such an unusual color as she grew. I call her my little eagle but I'm pretty sure she's Ameraucana. She has a bald spot on her back from the roosters.

Last edited:
Would you be so kind as to number them for us. I don't want to mistake multiple pics of the same bird for multiple birds. I can identify some of these but I will have to wait on others to tell us the rest.

The white hens (2) appear to be Easter Eggers with the puffy cheeks. I suspect that the reddish hen that is right above the white hens is an EE as well. Looks like the black hen is a Black Australorp. (sorry, my answers are not following your order of photos). The broody hen (laying on eggs) does appear like a Buff Orpington. She might do an awesome job protecting her chicks once they hatch. My broodies were fierce! No issues.

:) Nice group of chickens you have!

The white hens (2) appear to be Easter Eggers with the puffy cheeks. I suspect that the reddish hen that is right above the white hens is an EE as well. Looks like the black hen is a Black Australorp. (sorry, my answers are not following your order of photos). The broody hen (laying on eggs) does appear like a Buff Orpington. She might do an awesome job protecting her chicks once they hatch. My broodies were fierce! No issues.

:) Nice group of chickens you have!

Thank you. I kind of like them. LOL Sylvia

Both white birds look like white/splash Easter Eggers or possibly White/Splash Ameraucanas. Your black bird is probably a Black Australorp. The red hen is a production red, the broody hen is a Buff Orpington, and the muffed/feather footed bird is a Salmon Faverolle. I'm not sure what your rooster is.

Ok, I know I have a Crested Polish rooster, can't mistake him for anything else but what are the rest of my flock?
"Production Red" (hatchery red bird).

#2 Might be a Welsummer. Not an Ameraucana- they should have ear muffs, a pea comb, and blue legs.

#3 Black Australorp.

#4 Salmon Faverolle.

#5 Splash Ameraucana or Easter Egger.

#6White Ameraucana.

#7 Buff Orpington.

I have one more hen but she seems to be missing, I can't find her. We do have a sneaky predator around here but I'm hoping she is just hiding somewhere or maybe brooding on a nest we haven't found yet. I will start a new thread for the chicks I have.

What is a Red Production? Is that kind of like a mass produced red chicken? Kind of a no name breed of chicken? Thanks.

This rooster has red on the back of his legs kind of vertical stripes, tiny and between his toes. Mostly his legs are yellow. Does that help any?

What is a Red Production? Is that kind of like a mass produced red chicken? Kind of a no name breed of chicken? Thanks.
"Production Reds" are just hatchery "red" birds. Production Reds are often mixes of different red breeds, such as Rhode Island Reds and New Hampshire Reds.Often times, hatcheries will sell them as Rhode Island Reds, but they aren't true Rhode Island Reds, as they don't have the correct color (true RIRs are a deep mahogany color).

Back
Top Bottom