What breed are my chickens?

x2 here on BYC means "I agree." 

I don't get the [COLOR=333333]"hurrumph! Hurrumph!" p[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]osted by [/COLOR][COLOR=333333]subhanalah[/COLOR][COLOR=333333] [/COLOR], that's not something I've ever encountered before and I wouldn't know if it was good or bad, either!

Here is a list of abbreviations commonly found on BYC. Of course, "DQ" and "x2" aren't on there! https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/byc-index-of-abbreviations
it's British humor, I guess...

Ameraucanas MUST have slate legs and be one of the eight standard colors. That's one of the easiest ways to look at a bird and almost immediately tell the difference between (most) EEs and Ams. In fact, if you mate two Ams together and get the wrong color, it's not an Am even though it has Am parents. A common example is mating two blue birds. You'll get blue, black and splash from the cross. The blues and blacks would be Ams, but the splash would be considered an EE since it's not a standard color. I don't agree with this; I think Splash out to be a standard Am color. But I don't get a vote with the Ameraucana Breeder's Association. The BBS problem is part of the reason that some are trying to introduce the Lavender color, since Lav x Lav = Lav. 

Thank you for the info. I keep going down other rabbit trails and hadn't studied up on Am's at all. There's so much to learn! :)

Just a correction: An Easter Egger is a bird that carries the blue egg gene but does not conform to any breed standard. They could have Ameraucana in their lineage, they could have Araucana in their lineage, they could have Legbar in them, they could be purebred Ameraucana that don't meet the standard. It doesn't matter what they look like, it doesn't matter what color their legs are (LOTS of EEs don't have willow legs) all that matters is that they lay a blue or green egg or carry that gene (if they're a roo).

Since the blue egg gene is closely located to pea combs and puffy cheeks on the chromosome, most EEs have those. Since slate legs (required for an Ameraucana) crossed with yellow legs gives willow legs, lots of EEs have them. But it doesn't matter what the bird looks like; if she lays a blue or green egg, she's an EE. If she does not, she's something else (including a regular mutt instead of a mutt with a fancy name).
Walking on Sunshine is right of course. What I gave was an over simplification. Since Blue layers come from the same stock as araucanas and americauanas. Sorry, I didn't intent to post misinformation. I will be more cautious in the future. Thanks for catching this Walking on Sunshine.
thumbsup.gif

I did not know that an EE did not need to have willow legs. This is new for me.

Walking on Sunshine is right of course. What I gave was an over simplification. Since Blue layers come from the same stock as araucanas and americauanas. Sorry, I didn't intent to post misinformation. I will be more cautious in the future. Thanks for catching this Walking on Sunshine. :thumbsup
I did not know that an EE did not need to have willow legs. This is new for me. 

Here are some of my white legged EEs.
LT my Cockrell

Limin Chikin
And her blue egg.

Here are some of my white legged EEs.
LT my Cockrell

Limin Chikin
And her blue egg.
Those are some white legs on that hen and ... good grief that is one BLUE egg! I certainly have learned something. EE with white legs and the blue egg proof. WOW! I'm a believer now. Thanks!

These chicks are suppose to be 2 Welsummer pullets and 2 Lt Brown Leghorn Pullets. Which is which and is the sexing right?

1 and 2 for sure Welsummer 3 and 4 could be welsummer too but may be leghorn id need better pics with more lighting

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom