What breed are these ladies?

The birds in this thread were purchased as BR? Or are we talking about another thread? I'm getting super confused! And it all depends on where they were bought as BR. I wouldn't trust TSC to label anything properly.

I got the jump start on the line of questioning from this site, actually. BYC is kind of like my wikipedia for chickens, haha. But Poultry Keeper lists BRs as one of their parent breeds along with several others. The stuff concerning hatcheries is probably mainly anecdotal; people have been getting CMs from hatcheries for years that lay lighter eggs and have yellow shanks. I'll keep digging though, to see if I can find more explicit sources.

Also, I posted pictures of CMs from both Hoover and Cackle with yellow legs, so that's part of it as well.
My Cuckoo Marans have pink legs, & Hoover's sourced.
20210214_104923.jpg
20210214_104909.jpg

@Peezak where were they purchased ? They are typical of this years 'barred rocks' purchased at TSC.
I replied to this but no longer see it. I don’t believe they are barred rock. They are massive birds that aren’t done growing. Much bigger than my RI Red already.

These ladies were purchased from a farmer that went to an auction. When I asked him what they were he was just like “uhhh I dunno 🤷‍♂️

The egg looks like the one on the bottom right in the google pic I attached, the base color is more of a lighter tan. It’s huge. Like huge!

Attachments

• ABE61577-445F-4162-A9EE-B38FAE01B571.png
    ABE61577-445F-4162-A9EE-B38FAE01B571.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
I replied to this but no longer see it. I don’t believe they are barred rock. They are massive birds that aren’t done growing. Much bigger than my RI Red already.

These ladies were purchased from a farmer that went to an auction. When I asked him what they were he was just like “uhhh I dunno 🤷‍♂️

The egg looks like the one on the bottom right in the google pic I attached, the base color is more of a lighter tan. It’s huge. Like huge!
My guess is the farmer purchased them as BRs but they clearly aren’t so decided to sell them. These “Barred Rocks” are everywhere. Hoover’s has just been pumping them out.

egg_20color_20chart_202_1__1.jpg

A true maran should at minimum lay eggs as dark as #4, though the color will vary, being the darkest at the beginning of the season. This definitely is an interesting conundrum. I wonder if I called Hoover and asked, if they would be honest about it if they were adding additional* BR blood to their CM lines. Or emailed. Phone calls are stressful.

*Multiple sources list BR as one of the breeds used to develop the Cuckoo Maran. Others include Langshans and a couple British breeds I've never heard of.

The birds in this thread were purchased as BR? Or are we talking about another thread? I'm getting super confused! And it all depends on where they were bought as BR. I wouldn't trust TSC to label anything properly.

I got the jump start on the line of questioning from this site, actually. BYC is kind of like my wikipedia for chickens, haha. But Poultry Keeper lists BRs as one of their parent breeds along with several others. The stuff concerning hatcheries is probably mainly anecdotal; people have been getting CMs from hatcheries for years that lay lighter eggs and have yellow shanks. I'll keep digging though, to see if I can find more explicit sources.

Also, I posted pictures of CMs from both Hoover and Cackle with yellow legs, so that's part of it as well.
I was talking about several other peoples birds that were purchased as BRs from TSC this last summer that look identical to the OPs birds.
Anyways I'm out at this point. This thread has went sideways.

Y'all I e-mailed them cause this is driving me nuts. I looked through the other weird BR threads and all I gotta say is...damn. Even if it's a 'production' line like one poster says she was told, you'd think they'd just have poor barring, not look like a completely different color/pattern variant. I'll let y'all know what they tell me, if they tell me anything.

Y'all I e-mailed them cause this is driving me nuts. I looked through the other weird BR threads and all I gotta say is...damn. Even if it's a 'production' line like one poster says she was told, you'd think they'd just have poor barring, not look like a completely different color/pattern variant. I'll let y'all know what they tell me, if they tell me anything.
Sounds good! Very intrigued why these “Barred Rocks” look the way they do.

Back
Top Bottom