What breed are these two bantams?

Eggs_Benedict

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2023
A few weeks ago we got our very first chicks. Five of them are New Hampshire Reds, but we decided to also get two Bantams. The Bantams we're an assorted type, so we have no idea what type they are. I tried checking online, but there are so many different types that I'm lost.

I have attached two pictures of each chick below. #1 pictures are them at 3 weeks. #2 pictures are them currently at 4 weeks.

Attachments

• 20230316_105007.jpg
    20230316_105007.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230322_101329.jpg
    20230322_101329.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230316_105135.jpg
    20230316_105135.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230322_101433.jpg
    20230322_101433.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 4
I have attached two pictures of each chick below. #1 pictures are them at 3 weeks. #2 pictures are them currently at 4 weeks.
I think the first one is a cockerel, going by the comb & wattles and also be the breast color.

If it's a bantam, it's probably an Old English Game Bantam, judging by the appearance and by what breeds are common. It's probably the color called Black Breasted Red. Males get a black breast, females get a salmon breast.

The second one is probably a Black Cochin bantam. I'm not sure about gender. With the comb and wattles being so small, it could be a female. But I think I see some bright red in the wattles (even though they are tiny), which could be an early sign of a male. A few more weeks will probably make it much more obvious one way or the other.

The Bantams we're an assorted type, so we have no idea what type they are. I tried checking online, but there are so many different types that I'm lost.
When identifying chicks, other than looking at the color, I find it useful to check specific details. Are there feathers on the feet? (Not on the first one, yes on the second one.) What type of comb? (Both look like single combs.) Any crest on the head? No. Normal feathering or Silkie feathers or Frizzle feathers? Normal feathers on both. Skin color? Sometimes white vs. yellow on the soles of the feet will narrow down the options, although I'm fairly sure of these two even without checking that.

Many breed-description pages, includings the ones at some hatcheries, will have a list or chart with such traits.

I think the first one is a cockerel, going by the comb & wattles and also be the breast color.

If it's a bantam, it's probably an Old English Game Bantam, judging by the appearance and by what breeds are common. It's probably the color called Black Breasted Red. Males get a black breast, females get a salmon breast.

The second one is probably a Black Cochin bantam. I'm not sure about gender. With the comb and wattles being so small, it could be a female. But I think I see some bright red in the wattles (even though they are tiny), which could be an early sign of a male. A few more weeks will probably make it much more obvious one way or the other.

When identifying chicks, other than looking at the color, I find it useful to check specific details. Are there feathers on the feet? (Not on the first one, yes on the second one.) What type of comb? (Both look like single combs.) Any crest on the head? No. Normal feathering or Silkie feathers or Frizzle feathers? Normal feathers on both. Skin color? Sometimes white vs. yellow on the soles of the feet will narrow down the options, although I'm fairly sure of these two even without checking that.

Many breed-description pages, includings the ones at some hatcheries, will have a list or chart with such traits.
I had believed that the second chick was a Black Copper Marans honestly 🤔 in the earlier weeks there were great similarities

Attachments

• 20230322_142812.jpg
    20230322_142812.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230310_141255.jpg
    20230310_141255.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230310_141307.jpg
    20230310_141307.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 5
I had believed that the second chick was a Black Copper Marans honestly 🤔 in the earlier weeks there were great similarities
Yes, many breeds can look similar as chicks.

It often becomes more obvious as they grow. Based on how many foot feathers it has now, I think Cochin is more likely than Marans, but that is a guess not a certainty.

Back
Top Bottom