What breed are you most excited to add this year?

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
I know so many of us are buying and hatching (or have already bought & hatched) new chicks. This question is a bit different…what breed are you most excited to add to your flock? It can be one you already have, one you ordered and are waiting on, one you are hatching, or one you are hoping to get lucky & grab at the store/hatchery as a walk-in!

I am most excited about adding a Bielefelder! My son is super stoked about his Blue Cochin. Both will be arriving in June!

(Who am I kidding, I’m excited for all of them, but especially the Bielefelder!)

Speaking of new additions, I had this crazy experience. I was driving through a town I don't go to frequently, through a strip mall kind of area. I inexplicably had this feeling of excitement come over me, but I had no idea where it was coming from or what had caused it. I pulled onto the highway to drive home when I saw tractor supply on the hill. That was where the feeling was coming from, I had bought chicks from there two years ago, and it was like my subconscious still remembered, even from just being near the place that it happened. It was bizarre, but it kind of amazed me. I guess I am just that exalted about baby birds, raising them, and all the joy they bring. It made me realize how incredible birds are and how they have been such an important part of human life for millennia.

I just got some welsummers. They are 3 weeks old tomorrow. ❤ 6 hens and a roo. Im excited to perhaps hatch eggs in the future. I was originally thinking 2 springs in the future...now maybe next spring 😆 i do want to.add a new breed next year with another roo. So mayne not. I still havent decided what breed though. I picked welsummers this year just because the roo is so pretty. I might need to make a more informed decision for next year. My current flock is 1 five year old RIR and 7 four year old easter eggers.

I'm excited for all of them (Buff Orpington, Easter Egger, Buckeye), but I think Buckeye takes the cake! The breed has a cool history and they seem like exactly what I am looking for from the description: cold hardy, predator-aware, friendly, decent egg-layer, beautiful plumage. Also, I'm from Ohio, about an hour from where the breed originated. I have heard they sometimes hunt mice, which would certainly be a useful and entertaining bonus.

I also ordered some Bielefelders that I am excited about!! In addition, there will be some barnvelders, welsummers, and california whites. I already have one welsummer hen that I like, and I've been meaning to get some more for several years. They won't ship until the end of July so I have some time to wait. 😭

In the meantime, I'm distracting myself by hatching out some b/b/s Ameraucanas, olive eggers, and black copper marans from my current flock.

Back
Top Bottom