What breed for a docile rooster??

For me my best most docile rooster is my brown/red cochin boy. He is very sweet with the hens and when he mates with them he does it without grabbing them at the back of their neck/heads. When they are out free ranging he is always on the lookout for predators. The other day I was washing dishes and looking out the kitchen window, I saw a HUGE hawk circling above the neighbors house. I ran outside to see where my flock had gone and between him and my mutt roo they had those girls hidden sooo well even I had trouble finding them. I have had him for 3 years now, raised him since he was 1 week old.

Why don't you keep the old rooster until the new one is old enough. Try using a hen apron on the hens that are missing feathers, and feed them some extra protein to help them grow their feathers back.

I have a dominique rooster and he is very aggressive. You do not want one of these. I am sure there are docile ones out there, but I have heard about other people having problems with them being aggressive.

No, they won't miss being rough housed.

I had too many roos, gave a bunch away, and my hens RIGHT AWAY started to lay SO much better. They like to be left in peace, I think.

I have hen aprons on my hens who have back and wing damage now, and they seem to work very well. I got them from Lovemychix on this forum on the 'Everything Else for Sale' part.

I have to have a few roos for breeding purposes.

Catherine

I vote for Brahmas. They are the sweetest roos I know of.

I'd be leery of EE's. I've had many EE roosters.

I've been attacked several times.

The two I have now have not attacked yet. But they do follow behind me from time to time and I peek back wondering if they are stalking. lol. I'm always watching.

Just for information. I haven't seen many protective roosters. Sure they will keep a look out and throw a fit, try to alert their hens. But when it comes right down to It....

I had a rooster and 8 hens go out in the woods. The rooster came back unharmed. Yeah. It should of been a hen coming back, or at least the rooster should of looked like he tried to help.

I've also had predators get in the coop, and several hens killed, while the rooster sits and watches.

And I've had a lot of roosters. One of my EE roosters, defended his girls. But he was a rare exception in my opinion. He has passed on now sadly.

Moral is, most roosters will be sweet, take care of their ladies. But they are just the same as a hen against a predator. They want to survive too. They may puff up, threaten, but they won't attack a predator nor sacfrice themselves for the hens. Just saying.

There are some out there. But you are lucky to find one. Good luck. I am the same way. I feel all hens should have a rooster with them. Just for peace of mind. Even if I don't think they would stop a predator. At least there is a chance. lol. But I would just get rid of the rooster.

I have found RIR to be spazs. The hens are nice enough and friendly. But as chicks they are really agressive, and bold. I don't think I would have a RIR rooster. I would be scared of turning my back. lol. But again there are exceptions.

Thanks everyone!!!! I think I'm going to re-home him. I thought about aprons but I literally have to put aprons on 8 of my 10 hens...I really think my roo is full of alot of love and needs WAY more hens..I just sat and watched him for 2 hours and he really does a dance on the hens backs while mating which explains the bared backs of my hens.. I have been giving extra protien for months and the bared back still continues this is why I was thinking of re-homing him. I will be getting some chicks soon and i think I'll add a cochin roo...

my std cochin roos are great with the ladies, I think the feather feet protect the hen. my roo is very protective the other day the neighbors dog was running around the outside of the pen. the roo gathered everybody, ducks included and put them in the hen house. then he stood in the door way puffing up until the dog left. believe me a mad 14 lb chick

my std cochin roos are great with the ladies, I think the feather feet protect the hen. my roo is very protective the other day the neighbors dog was running around the outside of the pen. the roo gathered everybody, ducks included and put them in the hen house. then he stood in the door way puffing up until the dog left. believe me a mad 14 lb chicken is something to see. but he is gentle with people.

Back
Top Bottom