What breed is he?

Do you have a link to where this pic came from.
I still haven't found anything about them.
Like Blue Swedish, Buff Orpingtons don’t breed true to colour. You get 25% blonde, 50% Buff, and 25% Brown I’m pretty sure from talking to breeders. Blondes I think are homozygous blue, Buff is heterozygous and brown is homozygous no blue. I will have to double check.

This is a pet quality Orpington Drake I had, I talked to some breeders and they told me he was blonde.
FF2633AC-531E-45FD-83AF-873335C4EE3C.jpeg

Your drake looks like mine did.
Note the dark head that yours has which the OPs doesn't. Also note yours doesn't have a bunch of white like the OPs.
The rest of your post makes no sense.
I raised orpington ducks and there is no blue or shouldn't be in them.
And after hatching a few hundred ducklings I can say with confidence that they do breed true.

Your drake looks like mine did.
Note the dark head that yours has which the OPs doesn't. Also note yours doesn't have a bunch of white like the OPs.
The rest of your post makes no sense.
I raised orpington ducks and there is no blue or shouldn't be in them.
And after hatching a few hundred ducklings I can say with confidence that they do breed true.
Here’s the Buff Orpingtons genotype they do have the blue dilution.
AAC5E886-A367-42B7-A676-BE38E6B7C37C.jpeg

Also, according to Ashton’s Colour Breeding in Domestic Ducks, this is correct. Buff is Bl/bl+, Blonde is Bl/Bl, and Brown is bl+/bl+. You might have blonde Orpingtons.

And yes breeding to standard you don’t want the a noticeable blue in them, but genetically speaking they are blue.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom