What breed is my extra chick?

emyancey

Chirping
Feb 18, 2024
Northern New York
Hi! I ordered 12 chicks from Mt. Healthy Hatcheries (they are two weeks old and thriving with zero issues!). I received 13 chicks and I initially thought Lucky #13 was another Black Australorp, as I had ordered two. I have been looking at her the last couple of days and I think her legs are getting feathers!? Which means she is definitely NOT an Australorp. Which leads me to wonder - what is she? Black Copper Marans is my guess. I need to get my hands on her so that I can inspect her cute little leggies up close, but she definitely looks different than the other two Black Australorp chicks for sure. I have included a photo of the feather leg, mystery chick Lucky #13, and one of one of the Black Australorps. I know I probably won't know for sure until they're fully feathered, but I thought I'd still ask. Thanks!
IMG_7730.jpg
IMG_7732.jpg

Hi! I ordered 12 chicks from Mt. Healthy Hatcheries (they are two weeks old and thriving with zero issues!). I received 13 chicks and I initially thought Lucky #13 was another Black Australorp, as I had ordered two. I have been looking at her the last couple of days and I think her legs are getting feathers!? Which means she is definitely NOT an Australorp. Which leads me to wonder - what is she? Black Copper Marans is my guess. I need to get my hands on her so that I can inspect her cute little leggies up close, but she definitely looks different than the other two Black Australorp chicks for sure. I have included a photo of the feather leg, mystery chick Lucky #13, and one of one of the Black Australorps. I know I probably won't know for sure until they're fully feathered, but I thought I'd still ask. Thanks!View attachment 3818969View attachment 3818970
I think you’re right about it being a BCM

Back
Top Bottom