What breed is the rooster?

Is it always the case if you mate a barred hen with a none barred rooster the offspring will be sex links?
For example if I take a Barred Plymouth Rock hen and Rhode Island rooster, the resulting chicks will be sex-links?
Absolutely. That is the exact cross used to create black sex links. Males will have white spots on the back of the heads, and females won't. You can tell them apart right at birth.

If you used a rooster with the dominant white gene, it probably wouldn't work, because the chicks would likely be all white and you couldn't see the white spots on males. But otherwise it will work.

Thank you for the information!

Still learning chicken colors and genetics. I know a bunch more about rabbits lol.
Ditto, I used to be good with Cockatiel genetic traits but wow, chickens are a whole new genetic world, the varieties are so amazing, diverse & beautiful 😍

Very interesting, I'm trying to learn all I can about sex link colors & variations, too. Saves some heartache when a family adopts & gets attached to a chick...then finds out later it is a Roo they cannot keep.

Back
Top Bottom