What breed is this 3 week old hatchery choice rare

Ambrochia2001

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2023
Hello I have a 3 week old hatchery choice rare and have been trying to figure out what it is for a while now any help would be appreciated thank you!

Attachments

• 20230704_131210.jpg
    20230704_131210.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 153
Which hatchery did it come from? That can help narrow down the options.

I see black feathers, a rose comb, and clean feet (not feathered feet).

With those traits, it could be a Black Wyandotte or a Black Hamburg. Black chicks can also come from Blue parents, so a hatchery might sell "Blue Wyandottes" or "Blue Hamburgs" and actually ship some black chicks too.

I feel like there should be one or two other possible breeds with those traits, but I can't think of them right now.

Which hatchery did it come from? That can help narrow down the options.

I see black feathers, a rose comb, and clean feet (not feathered feet).

With those traits, it could be a Black Wyandotte or a Black Hamburg. Black chicks can also come from Blue parents, so a hatchery might sell "Blue Wyandottes" or "Blue Hamburgs" and actually ship some black chicks too.

I feel like there should be one or two other possible breeds with those traits, but I can't think of them right now.
I bought it at runnings they go through hoovers hatchery I believe

It seems they all have black on their feet this one doesn't

It certainly might be something different. I just didn't see any other breeds on Hoover's site that would have black feathers and a rose comb.

It may become more clear as it grows up. Some traits are not obvious in young chicks (like adult body shape, earlobe color, and what color eggs a hen lays.)

Based on the coloring and other features, my guess would be a blue Wyandotte. I don't know if Hoover carries this though.
They do have a blue red laced wyandotte.I'm stumped because It's growing super slow as well compared to the silver laced wyandottes i had gotten at the same time

Crevecoeur?
I suppose that is another possibility for the comb type (v-comb on crevecoeur.)

I don't see a crest, at least so far.

And the foot color would have the same problem as the Minorca: the chicks in the photos show some black on the shanks and feet, and the adults in the photos have slate legs with some black on them, but OP's chick is not showing thost things (at least so far.)

Melanistic Mutant Pheasant?
I am pretty sure OP has a baby chicken, not a baby pheasant.

Back
Top Bottom