What Breed is this chicken?

redsix

Songster
5 Years
Feb 14, 2015
Virginia

Got this chicken from the in-laws. It's solid back, but looks a little different than our Australorps. They bought it at Tractor Supply. They said they thought it was labeled "Asian". It has more red around its eyes and its feet and legs are not as dark as the Australorps.

My tractor supply sold some of these last spring also. They were listed as an Asian something, can't remember the full name. One of my friends bought a few, but I think the conclusion we came to was that they were just a mix. They are lovely birds though. Sweet and very good layers :)

Lovely hen! As said looks like a productive bird... Might be a sex link...not the usual black sex link though, just a different kind...

My tractor supply sold some of these last spring also. They were listed as an Asian something, can't remember the full name. One of my friends bought a few, but I think the conclusion we came to was that they were just a mix. They are lovely birds though. Sweet and very good layers
smile.png

Yes, she is a good layer. The other chickens still pick at her some, since she is the new kid. I did some more research on Asian breeds. Could she be a Java? I think one of the characteristics of the Java's is that the bottom of their feet are yellow. I will have to catch her and look more closely at her feet.

I went and asked my friend if she could remember what they were sold as, and she said they were listed as Asian blues. I went and googled it, and sure enough. Apparently they are being sold as a "new breed" so in my opinion, mixes with a cute name. I do think they are very like javas, good possibility they share some genes. But they aren't consistent in coloring. It seems like most of them look like yours, but with variations. My friends look like black sex links. Black with the gold flecks in their hackle, but also the irridesence on the black feathers. But they also come almost all brown too.

I went and asked my friend if she could remember what they were sold as, and she said they were listed as Asian blues. I went and googled it, and sure enough. Apparently they are being sold as a "new breed" so in my opinion, mixes with a cute name. I do think they are very like javas, good possibility they share some genes. But they aren't consistent in coloring. It seems like most of them look like yours, but with variations. My friends look like black sex links. Black with the gold flecks in their hackle, but also the irridesence on the black feathers. But they also come almost all brown too.

Thanks for the information. I'm sure that must be what they are. I haven't noticed any brown feather colors or iridescence. The Australorps have a green iridescence. Growing up we had a heavy breed of chicken that were black with some brown on the upper body. Not sure what they were either, probably some sort of sex link.

Back
Top Bottom