What breed is this?

Beckin

Chirping
Dec 4, 2020
This little duckling was brought into my work (vet clinic) after being found wandering. Any ideas what breed, sex, age it is? I’ve got a flock of chooks but don’t know anything about ducks!

Attachments

• B2E8A1A8-0CD2-450E-BF9F-240A6E8841B7.jpeg
    B2E8A1A8-0CD2-450E-BF9F-240A6E8841B7.jpeg
    619.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 9036B2D5-C94D-4BAF-9727-DB8FCAA41F04.jpeg
    9036B2D5-C94D-4BAF-9727-DB8FCAA41F04.jpeg
    486.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 3F4BAF5B-0022-4FE8-80BC-5D832B1FC2A8.jpeg
    3F4BAF5B-0022-4FE8-80BC-5D832B1FC2A8.jpeg
    449.6 KB · Views: 5
What a precious baby, I do believe it's a Muscovy duckling. See the tip of the bill that is the indicator of Muscovy compared to domestic ducklings like Pekin etc.
Are you going to keep it? if so please consider getting it a couple of friends so it will have one or 2 of its own species to grow up with. And don't worry if you can't find another Muscovy any breed will do. One of my Muscovy females prefers her Runners and Buffs to her Muscovy family. They do learn to communicate.
Info on ducks here https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/ducks.30/

What a precious baby, I do believe it's a Muscovy duckling. See the tip of the bill that is the indicator of Muscovy compared to domestic ducklings like Pekin etc.
Are you going to keep it? if so please consider getting it a couple of friends so it will have one or 2 of its own species to grow up with. And don't worry if you can't find another Muscovy any breed will do. One of my Muscovy females prefers her Runners and Buffs to her Muscovy family. They do learn to communicate.
Info on ducks here https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/ducks.30/
Yes I was thinking maybe Muscovy, they are the most common around here. I have had a look around to try and source a friend for him, but I’ve had no luck!! I do plan on keeping him provided he stays polite with the chooks. Such a cutie.

Could you order a couple more from a hatchery?
Could you order a couple more from a hatchery?
I have sourced a welsh harlequin of similar age about an hour out of town, so will go for a drive tomorrow! A local breeder is also convinced that the above little guy is a pekin.. I wonder what he’ll grow up to be.

I have sourced a welsh harlequin of similar age about an hour out of town, so will go for a drive tomorrow! A local breeder is also convinced that the above little guy is a pekin.. I wonder what he’ll grow up to be.
Despite being white pekin would be my last guess. I would say most likely Muscovy if not a white layer. Pekins should have an orange bill especially at this age.

Back
Top Bottom