What breed of chicken are these

Pictures?
2 chicks on the picture is not of their offsprings all others are and it seems to be like auto sexable or sexlinked to all the ones that are more yellow of color are turning to be females and all the ones that are white in color are males

Attachments

• 20220115_173755.jpg
    20220115_173755.jpg
    534.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220115_173736.jpg
    20220115_173736.jpg
    454.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220409_150854.jpg
    20220409_150854.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 5
Could be a Delaware. Maybe Columbian Rock.

Even if they were sexlinks, breeding them together would remove the sex linkage.

it seems to be like auto sexable or sexlinked to all the ones that are more yellow of color are turning to be females and all the ones that are white in color are males

I knew Barred Rock chicks can often be sexed by color, but I had not expected it on a breed with as much white as Delawares.

That is a very interesting observation!

Any chicken breed with barring has the potential to be autosexing.

Roosters can have two copies of the barring gene (on their two Z sex chromosomes), which makes them have more white and overall lighter color.

Hens can only have one copy of the barring gene (because they have ZW sex chromosomes, and barring is only on Z). So the hens have less white and overall darker coloring.

Even if they were sexlinks, breeding them together would remove the sex linkage.
Sexlinks are a one-time hybrid. You are right that breeding sexlinks together does not give sexlinks in the next generation.

But the autosexing breeds all use the barring gene, and can breed true for generation after generation while still being sexable. It's because a chicken with one copy of barring looks different than a chicken with two copies of barring, and with barring on the sex chromosome you can keep having males with two copies of the gene and hens with only one.

Last edited:
But the autosexing breeds all use the barring gene, and can breed true for generation after generation while still being sexable.
Thanks, I knew that about Autosex breeds. Did not think Delaware were Autosex, but maybe it’s just because most are hatchery stock?

Thanks, I knew that about Autosex breeds. Did not think Delaware were Autosex, but maybe it’s just because most are hatchery stock?
I never would have thought to try sexing them by color, given how much white is in the pattern. But they do have barring, and the original poster is noticing a consistent pattern of color & gender-- so maybe?

Back
Top Bottom