What Breed Of Chicken Should I Get to Fit Me?

Also when I get my chicks I will post it on here.
lol.png
04/29/14

Last edited:
Just To Inform Yall...

Brooder

Light

Please post how to make a good sturdy lid to hold out cats, dogs, mice, and rats.

Last edited:
Well cats will probally be kept out by a sturdy chicken wire lid. But mice and rats on the other hand, you'll need something more solid. Like Wire with a half-inch hole opening, or wood. Just be sure the chicks have enough ventilation ;)

Any one else that has pics or idea plan?
P.S. Thanks cuz. (even thought you said that over the phone LoL)
gig.gif

Guess I'll be the one to point out if you're ordering from a hatchery it doesn't matter what you get, they'll lay really well for a couple years then burn out. There is no practical difference between one breed from a hatchery and another, they have removed the individuality in the interest of production.

Man if people bashed back yard breeders in this fashion there would be a FRENZY. I personally have noticed a huge difference in the breeds we originally picked up from the hatchery and feed store - which ultimately are from hatcheries. The breeds matched the pictures of what the breed standards are and they laid about what the breed descriptions (again from other sources) said they would. The Hybrid red star we had laid an egg a day up until about 3.5 years old, then hit the wall. The Blue Andalusian we have is still laying eggs though and she is just as old and from the same breeder - granted she doesn't lay eggs as often.

Most of our chickens come from hatcheries at one point or another. Some hatcheries are considered 'premium' line producers and charge a fortune for the flavor of the year and people are waiting eagerly to buy everything they can. Other hatcheries deal in volume with the more common breeds. Just like backyard breeders not all chicken keepers are equal or have equally good stock. I have seen some chickens that don't match APA from both hatcheries and the hobbyist chicken breeder. What I find most disappointing though is when a breeder doesn't maintain a key characteristic for which the breed is known for - for example blue eggs from Ameraucanas or rich dark brown eggs from Maran lines. Even egg production from Australorps or Orpingtons which at one point in the not so distant past were exceptional and fair eggs layers respectively is lost in many of the competitive lines.

Last edited:
Man if people bashed back yard breeders in this fashion there would be a FRENZY.  I personally have noticed a huge difference in the breeds we originally picked up from the hatchery and feed store - which ultimately are from hatcheries.  The breeds matched the pictures of what the breed standards are and they laid about what the breed descriptions (again from other sources) said they would.  The Hybrid red star we had laid an egg a day up until about 3.5 years old, then hit the wall.  The Blue Andalusian we have is still laying eggs though and she is just as old and from the same breeder - granted she doesn't lay eggs as often.

Most of our chickens come from hatcheries at one point or another.  Some hatcheries are considered 'premium' line producers and charge a fortune for the flavor of the year and people are waiting eagerly to buy everything they can.  Other hatcheries deal in volume with the more common breeds.  Just like backyard breeders not all chicken keepers are equal or have equally good stock.  I have seen some chickens that don't match APA from both hatcheries and the hobbyist chicken breeder.  What I find most disappointing though is when a breeder doesn't maintain a key characteristic for which the breed is known for - for example blue eggs from Ameraucanas or rich dark brown eggs from Maran lines.  Even egg production from Australorps or Orpingtons which at one point in the not so distant past were exceptional and fair eggs layers respectively is lost in many of the competitive lines. 

Of course there's bad breeders too, but you will never ever find a quality bird from a hatchery. It just doesn't happen. They're scrawny and undersized compared to their written standard, most breeds you need bad eyesight or squint really hard to tell what breed they are, I mean seriously, even "common" breeds, Wyandottes with long back like a Plymouth Rock, Rhode Island Reds without their distinctive brick shape and rich red coloration, Orpington's that are lucky to weigh 6 lbs for a mature male, or about the same weight as a standard bred leghorn (which coming from a hatchery are almost comically bantam sized). Anyone that thinks hatchery birds are a good example of the breed has obviously never seen the real thing, which is truly sad. If people just want eggs? Sure hatchery birds are fine, if you want a good representation of the breed that stacks up to the size, production and temperament that the breed is supposed to have? From stock that was raised humanely and not in "puppy mill" conditions? Find a QUALITY breeder and support them.

Of course there's bad breeders too, but you will never ever find a quality bird from a hatchery. It just doesn't happen. They're scrawny and undersized compared to their written standard, most breeds you need bad eyesight or squint really hard to tell what breed they are, I mean seriously

Ours seemed to fit their standard quite well but then I am not a poultry judge nor would I claim to be one. Do I think they would be show quality? Not a chance. Never cared to read the SOP for Wyandottes for example but it seems to detail out what ours looked like, maybe we just got lucky? Even down to the details of her comb appearance. Though one aspect of her that I don't think would pan out - I think she occasionally held her tail at too high of an angle. I never thought twice about the difference in length of back on barred rock vs Wyandotte, you are right about the barred rocks having a longer back. Kind of fun to read about. To me it reminds of of dog breeding, my parents used to show dogs and talked at length about breed standards etc, stuff average dog owners just don't care about. They were top breeders of Manchester Terriers back in the day. Now my dad breeds and shows pigeons.

To say that you will never find a 'quality' bird from a hatchery i think would take some explaining - if quality you only mean taking it to a show and competing against people that care if your hens comb has 6 points instead of 5 then I think you are right. If it is utility and variety in your flock you want I think there are many options to look at - just like some back yard breeders still maintain great and true to their description productive flocks. My biggest gripe is people who maintain a "show quality" line of birds that in no stretch of the imagination is as productive as the breed was meant to be - both Australorps and Orpingtons I feel fall into this category.

It goes without saying that you have to define which countries standard you are trying to meet - because each country has their own standard. A British standard White Leghorn for example is a good pound heavier than the US SOP. You of all people I am sure know how much the standard changes when different people maintain a flock. Looking at Langshans for example, the different areas maintaining them resulted in completely different descriptions.

For me, egg production/utility and the fun of experimenting with genetics matters more than anything else and that is what keeps me interested in chickens. I plan to have mostly a mutt flock with a couple of pure bred birds for the purpose of breeding in specific traits then selecting out the next generation for the genetics that I am looking for.

Back
Top Bottom