What breed/sex are these Geese

Well, the lady I was getting the geese from gave them to family, which I totally understand, I just wish she wouldnt wait til the day I was supposed to get them to tell me
th.gif
So I am planning on getting two goslings in the spring
yippiechickie.gif
Does anyone know of a good breeder or hatchery? And can they be sexed by their coloring? Thank you so much!
smile.png

Well, the lady I was getting the geese from gave them to family, which I totally understand, I just wish she wouldnt wait til the day I was supposed to get them to tell me
th.gif
So I am planning on getting two goslings in the spring
yippiechickie.gif
Does anyone know of a good breeder or hatchery? And can they be sexed by their coloring? Thank you so much!
smile.png
I have had good luck with Metzer as a hatchery specializing in waterfowl. Take a look at Pilgrim Geese. They are sexable by color and have a gentle temperment.

Toulouse, buffs, and Embdens are great starter breeds. They're all pretty calm and buffs are the quietest of them all!! And of course Embdens are sooo majestic and gorgeous with the clean white and the bright orange feet walking around on nice green grass!

Thank you
smile.png
What breeds are best for small children being around? Is their a more docile breed and a more aggressive breed?
I wouldn't pick Embden, Chinese or possibly Africans someone who owns those last 2 will probably beg to differ but i have an Embden gander and even though most of the time he is okay and my grandchildren have been around him since they were small Sam is 8yrs old He isn't one I'd let them be around during breeding season. But most ganders are very protective of their mates and goslings so this is something you'll have to deal with if you get a gander. Some evidently more than others. I think Buffs are nice i have a females Buff and Toulouse are probably good with children I have gander and goose in that breed Never had the gander be aggressive to me he is to my chickens and ducks though.
Sebbies and Pilgrims are another breed that is pretty laid back, and there are Pomeranian also ,don't know much about their disposition. If you don't want to start breeding then 2 females would be nice to have. I didn't have a choice with either of my ganders Sam was hatched here by one of my ducks and my Toulouse gander was 2 days old when I got him and my Buff from a farm that doesn't sex their goslings. I don't raise gosling to sell nor do I need more geese so taking their eggs daily is something you have to do because even if no gander present the females will most likely go broody.Goose eggs are mighty tasty.

All geese and children should never be left alone together with out supervision. They both need to be taught to respect each other geese can learn this too.

Last edited:
Well, I would like to get a gander but I don't want there to be issues with the kids. Would it be ok to get two geese? And will a goose still be broody with out a gander like hens do with out a rooster? Out of curiosity are there any bantam geese? Thank you so very much for all your help
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom