What breed will they be?

coop's chicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 25, 2009
Southeastern Ontario
I hatched four babies and I have no idea what breed they'll be. The rooster is a big beautiful black Araucana with gold lace and the hen choices are: BR, Columbian Rock, black or red sexlink. I couldn't keep track of which eggs came from whom because they all lay in the same nest and I didn't want to go through the whole separation process.

I know one of the chicks is an Araucana because it came from a blue egg, but what might the others be considered? Mutts? EEs? I have no idea??? Also, when will I be able to sex them?

If the parent birds were not the same breed, then they are classified as crosses, or mixes. Sometimes crosses will be done intentionally to create sex-links. For yours, since there were sex-links involved, it would probably be safe to call them crosses. Can you post pictures of them? We may be able to help you tell which chicks have which breed in them.

43516_babies.jpg

Here are three of them, but the black one is the Araucana. I had another one hatch 24 hours later whose not in the picture. He looks just like the Araucana baby but is smaller and has more black on him overall. I'll get a picture of that one later.

I'd appreciate knowing what everyone thinks!

Back
Top Bottom