What breeds are best for quiet neighborhoods?

Cutie Clucker

In the Brooder
May 16, 2020
Arizona
I live in a quiet neighborhood and don’t want to annoy my neighbors with noisy chickens. I plan to get 3 to start with. I’m brand new to raising chickens, so getting a docile breed that is quiet is preferred. I want them for egg laying, not the meat. I live in Phoenix AZ so I need one that can tolerate the heat as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Do you want to roo or not ?
Screenshot_20200517-012140.png

And hens probably won't make much noise so you'd probably be best off getting some of these breeds

i'd say it depends on the hen. some chickens are loudmouths. some are not. my leghorns were pretty quiet and they're an egglaying breed, may be good for warm weather. my rhode island red would always go RAAAAAWWWWKKK KRAWKK RAWK RAWWWWWKKKK at the top of her lungs.

I love leghorns for their predator awareness and that their egg-laying machines I currently only have one but she is one of my favorite chickens

I had the same thoughts when I first wanted to get chickens over 6 years ago. While we live against a hill in the back, we have close neighbors on each side. I started with Buff Orpingtons, and now have Barred Rocks, Black Star, and Black Australorp. They’ve all been pretty much the same. They’re all pretty quiet, but when it’s time for the egg song, at least one is going to be noisy, possibly more than one. Hens gotta sing!

At least it’s doesn’t last too long, and the dogs barking, the car traffic, and the train are all much noisier. Even the wild birds singing during the day are pretty noisy.

It all comes down to the individual when it comes to the noise. Usually hens make noise at egg laying time or when they see you and expect treats. I've got one that follows us everywhere talking the entire time (Speckled Sussex).

For the sweltering heat of Phoenix, I would strongly suggest a light-bodied breed like a Leghorn - my larger heavier feathered breeds suffer heat stress starting around 75-85 degrees. There are varieties of Leghorns too - California Leghorns being one. You could poke over to the Arizona thread to see what people in your area recommend. Heat stress is a killer - chickens radiate heat by panting, spreading their wings out, through their combs and their legs - the rest of them is covered with feathers. All they can do is work their hearts extra hard to try and shed heat, so picking a chicken suited to the area is very important in your environment.

Predator protection is important everywhere but when thinking about your coop and run, let paranoia rule the day. Hawk net over the top of any run and especially using hardware cloth anywhere you'd be tempted to use chicken wire- and electric fencing for the exterior for the coop/run.

I had blue orpingtons and hatchery americana when I lived in Redding CA and it got to 118 the summer I lived there. My chickens had a very shaded run and access to water 24/7 and they did fine. They were also remarkably quieter than other breeds I've had in the past. My barred rocks were chatter boxes and would squawk all day LOUDLY. I felt so bad for my neighbors but they said repeatedly they didn't mind them.

I had blue orpingtons and hatchery americana when I lived in Redding CA and it got to 118 the summer I lived there. My chickens had a very shaded run and access to water 24/7 and they did fine. They were also remarkably quieter than other breeds I've had in the past. My barred rocks were chatter boxes and would squawk all day LOUDLY. I felt so bad for my neighbors but they said repeatedly they didn't mind them.

Having lived in Phoenix, there are nights when it's still 95 degrees at midnight- with the nighttime "low" in Phoenix during the summer months being- 82-85, at the coolest part of the early morning. Ugh!!

Back
Top Bottom