What breeds are the best winter laying chickens?

I can vouch for our New Hampshires, they have been great layers over winter. From 6 hens, we averaged 5 eggs a day over this last winter.
big_smile.png

We have found that ensuring they get some decent greens daily helps them and keeps the quality consistent. We had sprouts, cabbage, and the occasional lettuce.

As a treat we fed warm oatmeal, yogurt, and flax seed meal mixture in the mornings a few times a week.

I can vote in the Black Australorps. My girls never missed a beat even in temps below zero for days on end.

I have 1 RIR, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Leghorn, and an EE (and what I believe is a White Campbell duck, NOT an Indian Runner like I was hoping :p) It's okay though I love her anyhow
love.gif

I live in the PNW and my French Marans layed through the winter without a light... I've read that Dorkings are good winter layers, I'm looking for some of them now, I just added a young BO pullet....Good subject, I've been curious to know which breeds fit the catagory. I don't put a light on mine in the winter, I think I read somewhere it might be a contributing factor in hens becoming egg-bound at a point in their lives.....

We have australorps. The first year they laid through the winter, but the second winter (now) they have slowed way down. I'm pretty sure only 2 hens are laying our of 6. We get 2 eggs every-other day. I think they are from the same hens because there is always a large, light-brown egg, and a smaller, dark-brown egg.
We do keep a light on them that comes on at 4 am. I was told that you cannot keep chickens up in the evening, but you can get them out of bed early. From my experience, this is true. As soon as it's dark out they are in the roost, no matter if the light is on or not. We have a small "pasture" for them as well as a 7x7 area when they are fed, watered and where the nests are located. The roost is in a separate area in the shed that I can close off easily if I need to. So I put the light in this area to get them out of bed early,

Our dominiques only ever quit to molt. Our EE, for whatever reason, lays sporadically all winter, too. The rest of our flock, after their first winter, now quits after fall molting and do not start again until Mar/Apr (and that includes our BR and BA that are supposed to be winter layers).

Last edited:
I live in northern Nevada with some sub-zero temperatures. It seems that my Americauna mix breed (green layers) are the most consistent. I have two RIR that lay about four days a week also. My BR is kind of hit and miss. I do give them extra light though.

what I'm looking for is a particular breed or cross that lays eggs in cold winter months without being feed pellets and without having heated coops.
I have owned and own different type of breeds….but at the moment only my Golden laced Wyandotte is laying in this particular way…..or as I like to say Natural way.

Anyone have any chickens that lay in this way?

Last edited:
I have RIRs, BRs and an EE. My BRs are the best layers. They haven't missed aday yet. They are hardy too. I'm on NY and I don't heat my coop.

Back
Top Bottom