What breeds do you recommend? And what breeds do you dislike?

PearlTheDuck

Songster
5 Years
Oct 19, 2016
Texas
I am getting more ducks in a few months :) and I need suggestions and opinions on breeds

I'm thinking of getting some:
Khaki Campbell's
Cayugas
Blue Swedish
Indian runners
Magpies

And I want some Welsh Harlequins but my hatchery does not carry them

Are these breeds good? Egg production is not a huge deal since I'll be getting a bunch, it's personality and whether they will get along that matters more.

Last edited:
I am getting more ducks in a few months
smile.png
and I need suggestions and opinions on breeds

I'm thinking of getting some:
Khaki Campbell's
Cayugas
Blue Swedish
Indian runners
Magpies

And I want some Welsh Harlequins but my hatchery does not carry them

Are these breeds good? Egg production is not a huge deal since I'll be getting a bunch, it's personality and whether they will get along that matters more.
Out of that list I have only had Khaki Campbells and Indian runners, and I love them! However I can say that I'm sure all those breeds will get along just fine, as long as you have a good drake to hen ratio.
smile.png
My runner drake is a very active, loving, loyal husband to his hens. And my Khaki Campbell hen is a good layer, friendly girl, and peaceful with the other ducks.

Out of that list I have only had Khaki Campbells and Indian runners, and I love them! However I can say that I'm sure all those breeds will get along just fine, as long as you have a good drake to hen ratio. :)  My runner drake is a very active, loving, loyal husband to his hens. And my Khaki Campbell hen is a good layer, friendly girl, and peaceful with the other ducks. 

Aw, great to hear! :)

And yes 1 Drake per 3-4 hens, but I'm not planning to get Drakes, only females, if I do get any I will sell them because of many reasons, one reason being that my only duck I have right now is crested and during mating she could get her crest ripped off.

Try call ducks, khaki campbells, runners, and welsh harlequins, they are very good for handling and can get close to you if handled.

I've heard call ducks are great! Do they fly? I have a 4ft fence and any breed I get will have to be able to stay in the yard.

Yep, Calls can fly.....For the most part it is to get to where they want to go in a hurry...About 6 feet off the ground....Not a long distance either.....I love all Ducks....Any breed you choose, you will love....

Best of luck....

Cheers!

Anconas come in different colors too but my favorite is the original B&W. You'll love them! Plus, it's easy to tell them apart as no two are the same :) Besides look how cute the ducklings are lol...notice the anconas? I have had Pekins, Cayugas, Khaki's, Mallards, Welsh Harlequins, Muscovies, Buff ducks, Black and also Blue Swedish, Runners, Rouen, and White Crested, and my favorites are these guys...but I liked them all....lol

Last edited:
Maybe you could try a different hatchery like Metzer Farms or Cackle Hatchery if you really want Welsh Harlequins, if not, ive heard Khaki Campbells are a good breed for eggs and can be good pets and only get to about 4-6 lbs.

Back
Top Bottom