What breeds of chickens are red?

herbmom

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 15, 2011
Utah
We were told the chicks we bought at IFA were Road Island reds. Now that they are about 12 weeks old the one that was the runt isn't looking as dark as the other red one. We are trying to figure out what breeds they may be. They both have yellow feet. The darker red seems to have red by her ears. Not sure on the other one.

I'll try and take pictures. Just very curious if they are the same breed or not.

Thank you for any suggestions. Also these were sold in Utah if that helps.

I'm imagining that you either got Red Stars or Production Reds. Red stars come in a number of different combinations... The Cinnamon Queen is my favorite... great layer and then a great stewing hen after.

Photos would help a lot.

Lots of chicks are sold as RIR. The label is used rather loosely, which is a bit unfortunate for the breeders of true, mahogany Reds.
Here's one of the pullets I have and though they aren't too bad, they are not up to the breed standard.

69833_dscf0063.jpg

Last edited:
Do they look anything like these?
85493_101_1385.jpg

Mine are red sex links, one has alot more of the reddish coloring than the other but they are the same breed as far as I know. The man who sold them to me told me they were RIR and he also sold me a PR which turned out to be a red sex link rooster LoL! Sex link are supposed to be great layers and so far they are my nicest birds, although I only have 5 sex links and one BO/wyandotte mix to compare, I guess Im a little biased
wink.png

the "gold ones" in the above post, are Red Sex Link, I have 2, Gold Comets...they are also called Cinnamon Queens, or several other names...

68634_gs1.jpg

68634_dsc_0106-5.jpg

(my RIR pullet)

Depends on your view of "red" - But usually a "red" chicken is a Red/Golden Sexlink or a Production Red. (hatchery Rhode Island Red)

Sexlinks will have white on their necks and tails.

Production Reds will have black on their tails, sometimes wingtips, sometimes necks.

Last edited:
Mine are red sex link pullets, they are about 12-13 weeks old. Sorry it took so long to get back to you, its decent weather so Im doing lawnwork

Back
Top Bottom