What chicken breed should I get?

ARTsignature

Chirping
Dec 7, 2021
I am looking at getting a good pet/ show chicken that I can show at the fair in FFA. But there are so many breeds to choose from! I have never owned chickens before and I also have younger siblings, so a gentle breed is definitely needed. I live near Boise, ID and we get very cold winters and hot summers. We have about a half acre of a backyard. Here are the ones I have been considering:

-Standards-
Buff Orpington
Ameraucana
Double laced Barnevelder
Brown leghorn

-Bantams-
Sebright
Cochin
Silkie
Ameraucana
Silver pencilled rock
Mille fleur
OEG

Personally, I love the idea of bantams because they are adorable, don't take up much space, don't need lots of feed, and look good in the show ring. However, my family will probably want some layers too. There are just too many to choose from! Any suggestions?

Buff are friendly heavy for winter but kind of boring to look at. Brown Leghorns are good layers but not as good as the white one. The barnvelders look like a great choice. Just work with them to as chicks to make friendly

I am looking at getting a good pet/ show chicken that I can show at the fair in FFA. But there are so many breeds to choose from! I have never owned chickens before and I also have younger siblings, so a gentle breed is definitely needed. I live near Boise, ID and we get very cold winters and hot summers. We have about a half acre of a backyard. Here are the ones I have been considering:

-Standards-
Buff Orpington
Ameraucana
Double laced Barnevelder
Brown leghorn

-Bantams-
Sebright
Cochin
Silkie
Ameraucana
Silver pencilled rock
Mille fleur
OEG

Personally, I love the idea of bantams because they are adorable, don't take up much space, don't need lots of feed, and look good in the show ring. However, my family will probably want some layers too. There are just too many to choose from! Any suggestions?
My experience with brown leghorns is that they are quite nervous around humans. Meanwhile most of the White leghorns I've had have been very friendly, and also they've laid more consistently than the browns. Also can't really go wrong with buff Orpingtons, generally friendly and very pretty.

What is most important to you & your family? Eggs? Temperament? Where are you located? Will the chickens be free range or penned? That will all make a difference in what breed would be best. We all have preferences on here, based on our climate, space, involvement (do you want to cuddle them or will they be roaming and need predator awareness), and egg needs.

I’ve been getting very interested in nankins. They are very hard to find so you may have to buy hatching eggs. They are bantam size and not know for laying but they have wonderful personalities. I noticed that at shows EVERYONE has the super popular breeds so the competition is FIERCE. The last one I went to had two rows (200ft long) of OEGB and about the same of silkies. If nankins are too hard to find I’d go for d’uccles (or d’anvers), that’s what I used when I was a kid to show. Cochins we’re wonderful too.

I also prefer the “weird” uncommon breeds lol I hate doing what everyone else is doing

D’Uccles are wonderful little birds, usually referred to as “millies” or “Millie fleurs” but that is only the name of a variety they come in. They are extremely friendly and personable and in my experience great for showmanship. (Standard sized birds are harder to hold as long) d’Uccles are also fairly cold hardy, the only problem I’ve ever had is the large combs on the cockbirds, but the hens couldn’t care less. Good luck on whatever you choose! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom