What chicken breeds are most likely to go broody?

Pics
Try to find some Speckled Sussex...I don't know about hatchery stock though, I bought mine as day old chicks from a breeder and they are amazing broody hens.
I will have to look into them. I recently got 2 silkies because I heard they were good broodies. They are both cockerels turns out.

It’s kind of funny because I have had 3 go broody this year. My buff Orpington and my Easter Egger both went broody at the same time. Their eggs hatched 5 days from one another’s. The Buff decided after her little one hatched that being a mom wasn’t as fun as she thought and abandoned it after a week. Thankfully my Easter Eggers chicks (3 of them) were only 5 days older than the Buff’s so I snuck it under her at night and she raised it with the rest of them. Now I have a Black Laced Golden Wyandotte who went broody in July, she’s 9 years old so she can pretty much do whatever she wants lol. She successfully hatched 2 littles and now I have two little chicks (nearly 3 weeks old) that’s she’s raising! Not bad for an old bird haha

All of this discussion on supposed breeds that are prone to brooding. Let's see the pictures of the renowned silkie and buff cochin bantam roosters proudly setting atop their eggs and brooding their chicks. How can you even make the claim that you have a broody breed if ONLY the hens go broody?
Do you keep them in pairs for the rooster to brood? How long does the rooster stay with the chicks?

My old English game bantams have put all my other bantam breeds to shame when it comes to being broody.
My only large fowl to go broody that i have is my delaware? (I thought she was a sussex cross but been told thats what she is)

Back
Top Bottom